New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typewriter, After All
Okay, so my convictions now require me to start looking for a manual typewriter of some kind. It's not a question of what I can afford, but of something that will serve the purpose. I'm not a connoisseur of typewriters, but I know a good one if I use it a bit. The easiest ones to get I'd have to buy sight-unseen, so I'm praying for guidance to know when to jump and upon what I am to jump. There is no doubt that this is for a ministry purpose.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Praying for this, Ed. Thanks.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Man, it was decades ago when I took typing class on a manual typewriter and I learned fast and ended up being good at it.  The last actual typewriter I used was an IBM Selectric with the ball typing element.  I was a research assistant to a physicist and the ball had symbols and numbers and mathematical symbols where I would type all of his formulas and equations. If you don't think that wasn't a challenge to master! Oh my goodness. But I was really quite good at it. I was living near Washington DC and the office was in Arlington Virginia. He wanted me to move to California when he was transferred out there but I didn't want to leave the East Coast. Wonder what my life would have been had I done so but obviously the Lord wanted me right where I was and I didn't even know Him yet.

I do look occasionally around here for you Ed.  Unfortunately I could never use a manual typewriter again because of that rare affliction I have growing on my fingers. But as long as I have a keyboard I'm okay. And I can still write.

I will add that to my prayers for you when I "hover" over OK during my times with the Lord in prayer.
Okay, I found one on eBay that I can afford and will likely serve well. It's an Olympia B12. Thanks for your prayers.
(01-03-2022, 06:52 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Okay, I found one on eBay that I can afford and will likely serve well. It's an Olympia B12. Thanks for your prayers.

So glad you got that!  Good blessing and great way to start your new year out.

God bless!
Nice. I'd love to see photos when it comes in.
What about ink or ink ribbon for it? Is that easy to get for it?
I'll find out about the ribbons when I get it, but just from what I've seen so far, I believe it takes the generic stuff that fits most manual typewriters. I've seen those offered online, so I'll order them when it arrives. Supposed to be tomorrow.
I can't ever remember having to replace a ribbon when using typewriters at home, when I was a kid, unless my parents did it and I didn't see it. If you can secure a few ink ribbons you might be good for a long while.
I am so interested to hear more about your typewriter. I am surprised they are out there. So very cool. In college and at home growing up our typewriters were well loved and used, but occasionally we’d have an issue with the ribbon ink drying out. Have you ever heard of that? Maybe it was just something we were doing wrong.