New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be Careful What You Say
This is just a reminder why we have to be careful what we publish on the Net. Some guy is running what amounts to a hobby forum and gets sued constantly by a couple of oddball people who want control over things they cannot legally control.

Notice how I worded that neutrally. I published a link to an article without copying any of the text, not even a fair use sample. I'm pretending to be afraid of lawsuits.  Angel

Of course, it's all supposed to be ridiculous, even funny, particularly how I worded it. But in all seriousness, it also explains the value of avoiding naming names, and why anyone would seek anonymity on the Internet. A court could force the service providers to give up one's identity, but a warrant of that sort is not something a litigant could get for free. So far as I know, what's called "discovery process" cannot be gained without lawyers and fees. That freebie stuff applies only when you already have all the evidence you need for a claim.

It's one thing to be open and honest, taking responsibility for what you say and do in the real world. But the Internet is a madhouse. It can sometimes be bent to a good purpose, but it is increasingly ludicrous how it's used by the cranks in this world (people who take themselves too seriously). I believe we've done a good job so far of avoiding stuff that would get our host sued, but sometimes it bears a little reminding of where the boundaries are. On the other hand, if you risk nothing, you do nothing.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
I'm convinced some people are hardwired to be as dishonest as possible, to the extent that they suffer no immediate physical harm (and maybe past that point). The current legal system where everyone is separated physically from each other by a bureaucracy and a bureaucratic process plays right into that pathology. Modern western judicial systems makes it possible for psychopaths to work their weird plans without getting their ass kicked.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
I've suffered in the past from the company of people who felt that deceiving others was nothing but a game. For them, it was just play. And they would never hesitate to take advantage of the system to avoid any accountability. They knew they were risking physical violence, but couldn't resist the "fun". Even if they got that violence, they never learned from it.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
"Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't thinkin' it."
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com