New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed's Car Adventure
This is the thread where I'll share my experiences with this car we got. It's very nearly just like the wife's car: 2008 VW Jetta 2.5 liter engine. Except she has a sunroof, and mine is a manual transmission, no power steering, and she has alloy wheels. But we have a largely coherent fleet of two now.

So far, I know it needs a lower motor mount (mechanics call it the "dog bone" and you'll see why). The one in there now is missing a bolt, but I'm pretty sure it takes replacing the whole thing. Thus, the engine rocks in a cradle and bumps around a little when driving (it's not load bearing, just a stabilizer). I'm pretty sure the alternator is nearly dead, because the battery is almost certainly new and the thing kept dying on the way home, requiring a jump to restart. And it kept getting deader and deader. Once I get a new alternator in it, I'll be in a much better position to see which of those crazy warning lights actually mean anything. Also, the muffler isn't catching the exhaust; it's pretty loud, but that's not fully illegal in Oklahoma.

All I've done so far today is pull the top engine cover and the bottom engine pan. Both of those have to be moved to do much of anything at all. I need to get a couple of special tools, but it's hardly a waste because they'll work on both cars. I promise to shoot pictures of anything that's interesting, but there's nothing yet.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Ran into a time trap on the alternator. I can't get the special tool until Friday or so, and without it I can't even take the old one out. I can do the "dog bone" in the next day or two, as soon as the part comes in. That means I'll be tinkering with other stuff in the meantime.
I'll admit I don't know squat about cars except for a few maintenance things. But, like that Suspicious0bservers channel, I can sorta follow along and make some sense of what you're saying.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com

All glory and honor to the Father of Lights. The first issue has been resolved. In the picture is the old "dog bone" -- it's actually called a torque strut, but is often referred to as a motor mount. In the image you'll see a black metal bracket that was originally attached via a bushing to the aluminum strut. This middle bolt is the one that was broken off in the bottom of my transmission. Because of your prayers, the broken bolt was not seized in the hole; the broken end is that tiny blackened piece in the bottom of the display. Once we got a pit drilled in the broken end, the screw extractor bit and it spun right out. The new one is now installed and that issue is solved. I had the pleasure of my son helping me with this little job.

I had to buy some new tools to do this, but that would never break my heart. As previously noted, we had enough money left over for such things. Now the special tools for the alternator should arrive later today and I'll prepare to execute that job tomorrow.

Keep praying for the unknowns ahead.
I'm a little slow sometimes. A couple of random things I noticed while messing with the car didn't register fully until I was watching a video on mucking about with the alternator and stuff next to it. Turns out this car was missing an engine belt -- the one that drives the A/C compressor, which in turn drives the serpentine belt and everything else. So once I got that sucker on, half the issues were resolved, naturally.

So it drives now and I can get around, but it's tough without the power steering. I'll work on that later. I went to a muffler shop and they told me I would have to order an assembly that includes the catalytic converter. I scoped around online and found someone who would sell me one for just over $500; that's the lowest price available. Then I take it back to the muffler shop and they put it on for whatever they charge.

But we are making progress!
Good to hear about this, Ed.

I had a problem with a serpentine belt a long time ago. Luckily, it was easy to spot for a know-nothing like myself. I still had the family mechanic still had to fix it.
Gave it a tune-up today. That consists of spark plugs and an air filter. There's nothing else you can do to them. It did help. The old spark plugs were very old, and the gaps were huge. I got iridium plugs; they should last as long as the car. It was tricky getting the right air filter, but eventually it got worked out. It now idles smoothly and doesn't pop when I back off to slow down. All I need now is the catalytic converter assembly and this thing will be in good shape; it's due in next week. I still haven't figured out the steering problem, and I may not. But Lord willing, I'll come up with something sooner or later, but I can drive it now. The rest is just cosmetic work.
Tools were the big thing today. I received my new rolling stacked toolbox. It's pretty big, but oddly, not quite big enough. I still keep my wrenches and sockets in a rather large toolbox by themselves, and everything else is in the new rolling stack. Still, things are far better organized than ever. I also had a chance to test the all purpose battery box that we picked up this last winter. I've used it for jumping before, but today I got to test the built-in tire inflator (hidden on the backside). I managed to add some pressure to all four tires, and when I got through it wasn't dead. That's a very handy item for someone like me.

I'm now in a good position to help other folks with their vehicles.
Wow!  You go, Brother!  I am so happy that you have the tools, the skills and that "I can figure this out or learn how" mindset.  Good job.
My wife bought a rinky-dink portable air compressor on sale, that plugs into the cigarette lighter (or whatever those really are now). It works surprisingly well, but I'm waiting for the day when it just decides to finally not work for some reason. It seems like it would do that.