New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Walter Chyz - The Magnificent Soul
I ran across an article that referenced George Walter Chyz of the Soul Covenant Organization.  https://www.soulcovenant.org

He has just published a book, "The Magnificent Soul", that talks about "the divine soul that resides in the human heart". 

"This 330 page book offers a consciousness based view of reality that focuses on the human soul. Remarkable scientific research provides compelling support for the theory that a soul resides in the human heart. Excerpts from a wide variety of spiritual texts further endorse the age-old soul in the heart concept. Additionally, a gut-mind is included to form a novel "Triality" of human consciousness.

This head-heart-gut model is used to resolve mysteries that have remained unsolved by materialistic science. For instance, the superconscious-soul is shown to be the elusive source of intuition, conscience, genius, love, happiness, health, infallible wisdom and more. The keys to unlocking these treasures of the soul are; opening the heart, following the heart, and opening to love. These vague concepts are demystified using plain language, illustrative examples, and clarifying diagrams. The depth of understanding conveyed reveals how to access these inner treasures.

To provide a realistic setting, a perspective of reality that's founded on consciousness is presented. With the antiquated materialistic view of reality flipped right-side-up, a consciousness-origin cosmology reveals a purpose for humanity that fits reality and solves evermore confounding mysteries."

The first three chapters are available on the website to read for free.  While his position seems to reflect a lot of "New Age" and Hindu philosophy, his references to putting the heart first and intellect second seem to be in line with RF.  Would be interested on any feedback you might have on his thoughts.

Blessings to all...   Dave
The Western idea of a person being made of separate distinct parts; body, mind and soul, the soul being a completely incorporeal version of you that preexisted and is immortal as found in Greek philosophy and the Humoralist approach to physical and spiritual well being is very much at odds with what is found in the ancient Hebrew way. There is no concept of or word for "soul" in the western sense present in the OT. The English word soul is translated from the Hebrew nephesh, which means "a living being/creature" . In the creation narrative God created Adam by forming him from earthly ingredients and breathing into him the breath of life at which point Adam becomes nephesh. The passage is indicative of a process beyond human understanding but, it does not say God took a preexisting soul and put it into Adam.
  The OT uses two Hebrew words for heart, first, lebawb; which refers to the organ itself but, also understanding, this is the word used throughout Deuteronomy. Jesus quotes Deut.6:5 when asked what was the greatest commandment. The other is leb; which has a broader range of meanings including, feelings, will, intellect, wisdom and also the center of things. This is the Hebrew word most often translated into mind, although lebawb is too on occasion. These words are sometimes interchangeable in the text. To further confound the western affinity for precise definitions, it's all parable, the language is parabolic as  Paul says in 1st Corinthians 1:23 "But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness". Now Paul was very much an "old school" Hebrew truly pickled in the heart-led way of his ancestors. The Jews could not accept their Messiah as anything but an earthly king and it didn't fit into Greek empirical logic, the same attitudes hold sway today, anything that doesn't fit into a western "God box" is rejected outright. As far as a "divine" soul, two points; first human beings are sinners "For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God" Romans 3:23. Two; divinity implies immortality, now this may be to chagrin of my brethren of certain persuasions but, I believe scripture is clear on whether of not nephesh(humans) are immortal I submit; Genesis 2:17, Ezekiel 18:4,1st Timothy 6:15&16, 1st Corinthians 15:51-55. If we were immortal them why would the Bible call death the enemy, surely it would our friend?
   My apologies, I digressed. My main point of contention with this Chyz fellow and others such as the Heart Math Institute is there approach is very pro Western therefore unbiblical  especially as they cherry pick Eastern religions to remove those things which are unpalatable to westerners. Anything of the "God is in you, I'm okay, you're okay New Age feel good"  hooey is what the Bible calls "ear tickling" and is not conducive to Salvation. If a man looks at himself to examine his true nature and doesn't come away feeling like a turd, he has a problem and that sir, is my two cents annnnd you did ask for it.
I read the free book portion. I can appreciate his use of certain scientific research about the heart, and he does it better than some. Obvious failure: He dismisses the Fall. He doesn't recognize reality as separate from the individual and from Creator. One false dichotomy: Reincarnation isn't the only possible explanation for transfer of memories. He denies religion but espouses one, anyway. We don't agree with his depersonalization and his outlook on mainstream Western individuality; we handle individuality differently than the mainstream. He uses a quote from Aristotle about the soul and happiness, but Aristotle taught materialism as the substance of his philosophy (some of that eisegesis). He fails to distinguish between love (a moral commitment) and infatuation (an emotion). This is typical of Heartmath Institute, which he cites as authoritative. However, his model of seeking answers in isolation and meditation are same as mine.

Iain, I think I've said that the word "death" in the Bible is both literal and parabolic, and the context should tell you. Thus, death is our friend, as I've said in may places, while Death is an enemy, a servant of the Devil. I do believe in "immortality of the soul" as an expression, but I'm pretty sure I don't put the same meaning in the words that most do. I consider "soul" a parabolic word, not having any clear meaning because we aren't supposed to understand. I agree that Chyz tries too hard to make precise answers where they aren't possible.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Let me clarify, I do not find either literally or parabolically, the concept of "soul" defined by western philosophy as a formless and separate conscious essence independent of the body in the Hebrew Scriptures. I reject the notion that such a thing even exists. The use of the word soul in a parabolic sense representing the deepest convictions of the heart as definitive of one's being, I have no problem with and I use the word in this sense. Given the generally accepted definition of the word, I tend to use heart instead. It follows, using conventional western logic that I hold to the idea of annihilation, wrong! That only makes sense if one assumes the next world is governed by the same physical laws as this one, it is not. Shoot! God messes with this reality whenever it suits him, visions being an example. Now, as Paul says, we see through a glass darkly, so no one, no matter how clever, well educated or experienced truly knows. Lazarus told no one what happened while he was expired, probably because he didn't know himself. All we can do is speculate. Dang! This is getting too serious, time for the $2 matinee.
   "The Crayzee Wacky World of Mr Iain presents... What Happens When We Assume Room Temperature".
Our friend Jesus was talking to the crowd sated after being miraculously fed "I am the bread of life" said He and commenced to expound on who he was, this is in John 6 by the way, and how no one could come to Him unless the Father draws them. Several times He says "...raise him up at the last day" . We know from Hebrews 9:27 "And it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the Judgement". Here is where I step out into speculation. It is commonly believed that the last day/judgement is an event that occurs in the future in linear time, which by western standards makes sense but  if people die at different times and are immediately judged we have a paradox which is resolved in different ways, all rooted in western rationalism.
    Heaven is outside of our universe and outside of space time constraints. What if the last day/judgement is the first day of eternity, being outside of space and time it matters not when you die because you are translated to the first day of forever, if this is true there is no need for "dirt naps" or "spirit bodies" as it eliminates intermediate states. This is all your fault, Ed. You introduced me to quantum reasoning and now I'm quite content so keep your needle away from my "happy bubble". I had an original, for me anyway, thought. Alright then deuces y'all, it's bedtime. 2:45 am ah! Run it's Nosferatu!
Ain't we having so much fun? Good response, Iain. I'll take the blame.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(04-19-2018, 07:38 AM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Ain't we having so much fun? Good response, Iain. I'll take the blame.
Oh heck yes, you know I am an indulgent father who delights in his children but, I'm also firm, never in anger, when it's necessary because screw ups and consequences are how kids grow. My wife is a wonderful mother who nurtures them will a sacrificial love that places their welfare before her own, something I never knew. So we have good kids. I hope that we are the Lord's good kids.
 I believe our Father takes delight in us whose hearts desire is to please him, he is the originator of good clean fun and laughs with with us. Amen