New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a Dream
I didn't put this in the Prayer Request subforum because I'm not ready to make it a prayer request. Rather, I just wanted to share something that is somewhere above a passing fancy: I'd love to ride across the state of Oklahoma on my bike, camping or couch surfing or whatever, and taking pictures. Maybe I'd shoot videos, too. It would require sponsorship, but maybe not a lot. My current bike could handle most of it, at least at the start, but that much riding would eventually wear it out. At some point, component replacement would be more expensive than buying a new bike.

It would be a whole lot easier to feed myself at least partly from local vendors and sources than to pack a bunch of food, but I'd have to be careful about avoiding wheat and caffeine. One of the biggest challenges is facing the blistering hot temperatures during the summer, and finding ways to deal with excessive sun exposure.

Anyway, this isn't yet the kind of thing where I'm determined to go do it at any cost, but I think I may be working in that direction. I'll probably need to start by taking longer rides where I live until 50 miles is just an easy workout. I may also include taking the bike out on the back of the car and riding around somewhere out there in the boonies -- frankly, that's most likely the way I'll do most of it. Even then, it would eventually require getting some conscious cooperation from other folks out there, and that may be the hardest part of this whole idea.

I'm honestly dubious that I'm equipped to edit videos and publish anything but narrative. So I'm putting this out as a trial balloon idea. If it gets enough traction, I'll take it farther. I don't think it belongs hidden away on my Radix Fidem blog.

What say ye?
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
I think this is interesting. I had a friend who did a similar thing, trekking over much of the U.S. on bike. It's not terribly difficult as long as you plan for contingencies. With your military background I'm sure you'd be okay in that area.

As you said, it's not a prayer request, but I will pray about it anyway. You can't stop me! Smile
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Hopefully your prayers will spark some input. Pushing out beyond the state is an option, but I figure too much of Oklahoma is a mystery to outsiders, so that's where I'll start.
It occurs to me this may be one of the few valid reasons to have a Facebook account. I can't keep other folks from chattering about what interests them, but as long as I stick to just riding, camping and photography, it may prove useful. I'll try keep my comments about all the other stuff on my blogs. Hmmm... "Bikepacking Oklahoma" has a ring to it.
You could do a lot worse than "Bikepacking Oklahoma." Consider, too, "Bikepacking OK" or "Bikepacking Okie." Ignore me if Okie is not a nickname for the state; to me, it sounds like it should be.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Well, the intention here is purely SEO based. I happen to know that "Bikepacking Oklahoma" is a relatively popular search term.
Never mind; too many people are already using that as a blog title. I'll use "Bikepacking Okie" just because it leaves open the door somewhere in the future for riding into other states. And yes, "Okie" is a common term for us Oklahomans.
When I  first read your initial post, I envisioned a t-shirt with a cross at the top and Oklahoma written under it.  I thought it might spark some conversation as you do your crossing.    Smile

And, how long do you think something like that would take, all things considered; and what does Mrs. H think?
The idea is not just a single trip, but multiple trips. I'll start with simple over-nighters just to get used to the travel. I'm hoping to find ways to get enough exposure that maybe I can garner some sponsors. I'm trying to avoid the hassles of working with YouTube for videos, but I don't know if still shots and narrative will do the trick. This is why I'm considering a fresh foray into Facebook again. Eventually I hope to offer stories and images of the whole state. Going off to the Panhandle would be more like week-long trips and would require support. If I do get that support, I'll consider going even farther afield, taking transport and carrying the bikes to places I wouldn't otherwise get to see.

Veloyce knew this was coming, at least on some level. Before I ever mentioned my sense of mission calling, she asked me if I felt like God was going to take me off somewhere. She knew already. She's okay with a night or two here and there, and that's all I can afford without significant support for this project. She has plenty to keep her busy while I'm gone, and she knows how much it blesses me.
Is your bike up to the task?