New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Call of Adventure
When I first graduated college, I had a burning sense of calling about the traditional American evangelical gospel ministry. I went at it, but was mostly frustrated. I know why now, but didn't understand then why I wasn't accepted into the secret brotherhood. So I went after a different dream and enlisted in the military. That didn't turn out too well, but there were bright spots in it. It was a grand test of my faith. I eventually understood that I had been granted a fine adventure. A few years after that, I was ordained by some folks who believed in me just that much, but not quite enough to actually put me to work.

Then I learned some new stuff about faith. I had been casting about for something invisible to me missing from the picture. Still not quite taken seriously as a gospel minister, I went back into the military and did a whale of a lot better than before... until it was discovered I had a birth defect that made it awfully difficult to stay in uniform (knees issue). The military was willing, but I knew it was pointless. What mattered most was the amazing new adventure it was, particularly in terms of religion. It was my volunteer work in chapel that made all the difference, another grand test of my faith. It was a spiritual high point hard to describe. But I felt compelled to leave the military.

Then I tested the waters as a school teacher, and failed in professional terms. I was too much a maverick at that point, but I did learn a lot of new tools. This was when my personal religion changed more radically. For the next twenty years I hunkered down and studied the roots of Christian faith, reviewing and deepening all I had learned back in Baptist college.

Fast forward to where things are right now. I've reached a stability point in my personal faith; I'm ready to test it again. This time military service is highly improbable. It was a wonderful context in which to test my faith, a context I fully understood, and where my influence was frankly powerful in spiritual terms. I have no idea what environment God has in mind, but I have this overwhelming sense of adventure in faith burning like a bonfire inside of me.

I wanna be ready for the next adventure; I'm seeking a clear sense of vision about it. That's my prayer request.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
God has been leading me to the truth.  I believe He lead me to you.  If it were not for you and the teachings taught by you through your blog and your writings, I would not have learned what i know now about the heart-led way or the ANE ways (and so much more).  It seems to me your mission is clear. How many others have been touched in like manner?!  Father may indeed have plans for you elsewhere, but let it be said: His blessings have poured forth through your words to the world.

My prayers will be lifted up to Father to guide you in this.
I have no intention of reducing my writing regardless of other missions. Instead, the missions would simply add new aspects to what I can share.
"Life is a journey, not a destination."

Never thought I would quote an Aerosmith song, but here we are.

Life is a process, eh? It seems to build on itself as it goes along. There's no arrival point but that doesn't mean there can't be milestones along the way.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Amen, Jay. The biggest mistake is thinking you can plan this stuff out, from any angle. Worse is attaching a moral value to the results of your plans clashing with reality. I didn't waste a thing; all of my choices were driven by the Spirit of God, even if I didn't quite understand the best response to that drive.
I could probably say the same things with things in my past. If we were fully invested in western theological doctrine, we'd probably feel the need to "repent" for not doing it right. There's probably a blog post/sermon hiding in there.
I suppose there is a message hiding in that recognition. It comes from the worship of reason, as if intellect is holy and any failure to measure up to the presumed objective potential is a moral failure. "You could have and should have known, and only immoral truculence on your part prevented it."
"You must have some hidden sin in your life that you need to confess."

[Image: square-1473162742-iron-man-tony-stark-ma...e-roll.gif]
Ah, yes, the psychoanalysis approach. Specifically designed to prevent peace with God.