New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sudden Knee Pain
When it rains, it pours?

Yesterday, after sitting with my son for maybe an hour, I got sudden right knee pain, as bad as a 5 out of 10, which has persisted so far. It doesn't hurt more when I move, which is good, but it's always there.

I took one of the wife's Rx ibuprofen horsepills last night, which worked great, but it wore off during the night and I woke up from the pain. So I took another one and got back to bed.

Now that 2nd dose wore off and it's back. Trying to hold off on taking more meds until bedtime, but it's pretty bad. Going to see the ortho if it persists the next few days.

It's not the end of the world for me but just seems really strange, as it came out of nowhere.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Spooky stuff with your knees and mine. We will pray you get some useful answers.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
I feel your pain, so far my knees are holding up, Go Lazy! 
  Something weird:-
 I was about to endorse a check this morning and the knowledge of curcive was not there. I could not start to sign the check. I had to look it up! This is evidence of my brain full theory, it goes like this; my brain is full and in order to fit new info in, something must be lost, eventually I'm gonna lose something important like writing curcive or breathing.
Update: last night was pretty bad. Maybe a 6 or 7 on the pain scale, at least while I waited for the horsepill to take effect. I also had to take a "calm down" pill from the wife's stash to make sure I could sleep, which I did.

I made an appointment with the ortho for tomorrow at 9:45, so we'll see what's going on...
Update of sorts: this was determined to be a sciatic flare up. It's been gone for maybe a good month now. I went to my PT and she gave me exercises, etc., but things look normal as far as this goes.

I have something else going on now, though, which has been for the past few weeks. One eyebrow gets mild pain, the same side eye is sensitive, and I have very mild numbness in the cheek and tongue. My "hair" (I don't have any, but I do) is sensitive, too: if I rub my head it feels on the verge of being painful. In the past few days the pain has moved down to my jay when I open my mouth. I get flu-like symptoms if I don't take Advil--like chills and fatigue.

I went to MedExpress, and the doctor found fluid in my ear, prescribed me a nasal spray and Claritin. They don't do anything, so I stopped taking them. She said if the issue persists, I should see my doctor or her for a neurologist referral.

Things are manageable, as I said, if I take my Advil, but I'm hoping it's not something worse than a sinus infection. I will keep you all posted after I see my normal doctor next week.
If i may make a suggestion that may help.  Find some clove oil (yes the old fashioned little bottle at the pharmacy) and mix 8 -10 drops with a little coconut or olive oil in a little bowl.   Take your finger tip and, to that affected side,  rub the oil along that jaw bone and down that side of your neck, behind and below the ear, up across the temple, brow and forehead.  Do NOT put any in your ear or near your eyes.  Do this 3 times a day and see if that helps.  Save what is left in the bowl or add to as needed until you know if it works.  Usually within 3 days, relief and healing will happen.  

For me, the pain eases and eventually goes away.  Clove is very antimicrobial so any "germies" will get gone as well.  Of course, each of our bodies is different and your condition may not respond to clove.   Worth a try

Just my little tip of the day, Jay.   Wink
Yeah, that sounds very much like a sinus allergy related infection. Aside from the ointment, I often use a vibrator to loosen things up, and of course the sinus flush, but not everyone can handle the latter.

BTW, my left knee seems to be better now.
Thanks, you two. I didn't get email notifications that you two replied.

forrealone - I'd try your idea (we have lots of oils in the jaybreak house), but my jaw doesn't hurt any more. There's lots of moving pain involved with whatever I have (see more info below).

Ed - Offhand, my physical therapist suggested the same two things Smile She said she uses the nasal flushes and those always work for her, but warned that some folks don't take to it.

Anyways, I saw my doc on Friday. The assistant saw me first, and she couldn't determine what was really going on. The head doc then saw me, and ruled out a few things, but he said it was a mystery, too, but had some ideas. He gave me an order for tests (he specifically stated they are pretty thorough), which I had done Saturday morning. I see him the 30th for a followup for that.

I have a hunch it's Lyme disease. It explains all the symptoms I've been having for the past few months. It also explains a weird rash I got on my hip before all this nonsense started with my knee. It wasn't a typical "target" rash that is associated with that kind of tick bite, but those can vary.

I'll let everyone know what they find out. In the meantime, it's ibuprofen, caffeine, and trying to stay positive.
(09-15-2019, 08:19 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: BTW, my left knee seems to be better now.

Did you do anything to heal it, or did it clear up by itself?
Time and avoiding whatever aggravated the symptoms. That meant not taking long walks, but riding with my usual stern effort. As you know, multi-speed bikes allow you to adjust the pressure on your knees, so I was pretty careful to sense when I was pushing too hard.