New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dadgummit!
 It rains, it pours 
"cabbage crates coming over the briney?"   "Sorry old chap we don't understand your banter" MPFC Season 4 Episode 3
 God's Glory shines anyway all the time even when I want to slap the dash and cuss (I actually restrained myself)
Soooooooooooo...
The Honda took a waspy and Buttercup flipped over on her Betty Harper's.
Honda rabbits at 2700 rpm, I had scanned the trouble code and replaced the parts affected like, two months ago but, it still does it sporadically. The quick fix is pull over and turn off the ignition and start it up and it will run okay. It hadn't been doing it much until today. Pulled over twice on the way home from Boone. Not good Squiffy.
  Before that I went out to the bank on my bike and when I stopped at the atm I saw a puddle under it, that wasn't oil, it was gas coming out the carburetor overflow so, I came home and drove the Honda and it did its thing. I'm gonna go take the fuel bowl off it may just be trash on the float needle, I hope. If it needs rebuilding a kit is $35.06 from J&P Cycle. I  don't mind, it's one of the joys of old bikes. I like working on pre computer controlled vehicles. A P1259 Variable Valve Timing code is no fun at all because, everything on modern vehicles is shoehorned into the engine compartment and that makes stuff hard to get to. I replaced the parts by using a mirror to see where the bolts were and then by feel, while my forearms were getting scratched by all the crap I had to snake through to reach the darn thing. Yeeeech! Don't get me started. Well, shut up. Good idey my friend.
  By comparison, the space under the hood of my 78 Chevy truck is so big, I would set a 2by8 board across the fenders and lay on top of it, it made things so easy. The good news is I have to be at the country club at 2:30pm tomorrow yay work!
Question 
(06-27-2019, 03:16 PM)IainH Wrote:
 It rains, it pours 
"cabbage crates coming over the briney?"   "Sorry old chap we don't understand your banter" MPFC Season 4 Episode 3
 God's Glory shines anyway all the time even when I want to slap the dash and cuss (I actually restrained myself)
Soooooooooooo...
The Honda took a waspy and Buttercup flipped over on her Betty Harper's.
Honda rabbits at 2700 rpm, I had scanned the trouble code and replaced the parts affected like, two months ago but, it still does it sporadically. The quick fix is pull over and turn off the ignition and start it up and it will run okay. It hadn't been doing it much until today. Pulled over twice on the way home from Boone. Not good Squiffy.
  Before that I went out to the bank on my bike and when I stopped at the atm I saw a puddle under it, that wasn't oil, it was gas coming out the carburetor overflow so, I came home and drove the Honda and it did its thing. I'm gonna go take the fuel bowl off it may just be trash on the float needle, I hope. If it needs rebuilding a kit is $35.06 from J&P Cycle. I  don't mind, it's one of the joys of old bikes. I like working on pre computer controlled vehicles. A P1259 Variable Valve Timing code is no fun at all because, everything on modern vehicles is shoehorned into the engine compartment and that makes stuff hard to get to. I replaced the parts by using a mirror to see where the bolts were and then by feel, while my forearms were getting scratched by all the crap I had to snake through to reach the darn thing. Yeeeech! Don't get me started. Well, shut up. Good idey my friend.
  By comparison, the space under the hood of my 78 Chevy truck is so big, I would set a 2by8 board across the fenders and lay on top of it, it made things so easy. The good news is I have to be at the country club at 2:30pm tomorrow yay work!

Was there a prayer request in there somewhere? Big Grin
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Lord, guide Iain's perception so that he is able to fix everything You've given him to use. Make him able to see clearly what the nature of each problem is, and supply his need.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(06-28-2019, 04:10 AM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Lord, guide Iain's perception so that he is able to fix everything You've given him to use. Make him able to see clearly what the nature of each problem is, and supply his need.

Thanks Ed. See Jay,  Ed understood it was implicit in the description.  Tongue ooh, that felt good.
Work hurt worse than it did last time but, dang it I'm obligated now! "Oh, we're so glad you're back" too many times.
Sad 
(06-28-2019, 11:55 PM)IainH Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 04:10 AM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Lord, guide Iain's perception so that he is able to fix everything You've given him to use. Make him able to see clearly what the nature of each problem is, and supply his need.

Thanks Ed. See Jay,  Ed understood it was implicit in the description.  Tongue ooh, that felt good.
Work hurt worse than it did last time but, dang it I'm obligated now! "Oh, we're so glad you're back" too many times.

I was being obtuse, half-intentionally. I am decent at reading between lines but it was too good of an opportunity to bust your chops.

Not really the best place to do that in response to a prayer request, is it?
(06-29-2019, 07:36 PM)jaybreak Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 11:55 PM)IainH Wrote:

I was being obtuse, half-intentionally. I am decent at reading between lines but it was too good of an opportunity to bust your chops.

Not really the best place to do that in response to a prayer request, is it?

Obtuseness is a characteristic as common to the Yankee as grace is to the Southerner. Therefore we must tolerate him in his lack as one would anyone lacking basic faculty. 
William Faulkner's mother. 
Naw, Faulkner's mother would never have explained. She would have invited you in and charmed you with exquisite manners as she walked you to the back door.  Shy
(06-30-2019, 06:47 AM)IainH Wrote: [quote pid='1852' dateline='1561854992']
Naw, Faulkner's mother would never have explained. She would have invited you in and charmed you with exquisite manners as she walked you to the back door.  Shy

[/quote]

I don't know whether to say "ouch" or "much obliged, ma'am," and I think that's the point. Wink
You know I do this in the spirit of brotherhood and humor, where y'all say busting your chops and your neighbors to the North use a decidedly more vulgar euphemism which, I shall not mention, we use the quaint "pick" when ribbing our buddies. Which brings me to this. I have been praying for my daughter all day as her party is in "Babylon on the Hudson". Technically, they're at Camp Gateway in Brooklyn NY but, were venturing into the city. Tomorrow they move out of the city into more agreeable country to backpack some more. They will spend July 4th in Niagara Falls and finally head home on the sixth. Our son has been at the beach all week so, I'm experiencing empty nest syndrome and I don't like it one bit.
I was in Manhattan briefly in 1984 and the sensation that has stayed with me is the smell. Manhattan smelled like a mix of garlic and urine.
(06-30-2019, 06:02 PM)Iain Wrote: I was in Manhattan briefly in 1984 and the sensation that has stayed with me is the smell. Manhattan smelled like a mix of garlic and urine.

Well, some European cities smell like that, particularly in areas where French language dominates (they call those folks "Francophones.") Something about that language causes folks to urinate in some awfully strange places, and when the weather is warm you get a reminder of it. Of course, garlic is in a lot of their food; the Italians ain't got nothing on Francophones when it comes to liberal use of garlic.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(07-01-2019, 04:28 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 06:02 PM)Iain Wrote: I was in Manhattan briefly in 1984 and the sensation that has stayed with me is the smell. Manhattan smelled like a mix of garlic and urine.

Well, some European cities smell like that, particularly in areas where French language dominates (they call those folks "Francophones.") Something about that language causes folks to urinate in some awfully strange places, and when the weather is warm you get a reminder of it. Of course, garlic is in a lot of their food; the Italians ain't got nothing on Francophones when it comes to liberal use of garlic.

As I recall. NYC in the 80s was pretty rough, which may have contributed to your experience, Iain. I think it was Giuliani that is generally known for cleaning a lot of the stuff up in the early 90s? Not sure.

Then again, every city will have its urine centers. I know two off the top of my head, in downtown Pgh.