New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moon Logic
Just a little primer for those who don't already know: If you are going to observe the moon phases, you need to know the logic of how it moves. Think about it. The moon faces earth with the same face always. If we see a bright face (full moon), it's facing the sun. That means it's almost behind earth, opposite the sun from our position. If we see a dark face (new moon), then it's between us and the sun.

When it's between us and the sun, it's closer to the daylight. As the moon phase shifts toward the new moon, it rises later and later in the morning, until the actual new moon phase change when it's almost invisible against the light of the sun. Part of knowing it's almost a new moon is that you go out before dawn and the moon is just coming up ahead of the sun, and its face is dark to us, except for a thin sliver of silver.

As we head toward the full moon, it rises later and later in the day, until at the full moon itself, when it doesn't appear with the sun at all, but only at night.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(06-02-2019, 09:36 AM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Just a little primer for those who don't already know: If you are going to observe the moon phases, you need to know the logic of how it moves. Think about it. The moon faces earth with the same face always. If we see a bright face (full moon), it's facing the sun. That means it's almost behind earth, opposite the sun from our position. If we see a dark face (new moon), then it's between us and the sun.

When it's between us and the sun, it's closer to the daylight. As the moon phase shifts toward the new moon, it rises later and later in the morning, until the actual new moon phase change when it's almost invisible against the light of the sun. Part of knowing it's almost a new moon is that you go out before dawn and the moon is just coming up ahead of the sun, and its face is dark to us, except for a thin sliver of silver.

As we head toward the full moon, it rises later and later in the day, until at the full moon itself, when it doesn't appear with the sun at all, but only at night.

New moon tomorrow, it is a good time to start projects. I sorta have a thing about starting things on a new moon. Things go better? Example of full moon disaster, my bike bled out just shy of a full moon and I started on the full moon the first week was awful and set the tone for the entire project. I'm gonna try CBD for pain and inflammation,  I'm fixing to ride into town to get some. Now you know one more weird thing about me. It was cops who first told me that the full moon brought out the crazies. I didn't really take it seriously but, then my Daddy in law confirmed it, said he would schedule more lawmen during the full moon. I believed him.
Don't know if I'll do (or not do) anything actively to coincide with phases, but it might be good to keep track of, anyways. Maybe bring the telescope out more often when it's clear. It's easier to do that when it's not so butt-cold out.

I do want to try binary/segmented sleep sometime, where you start sleeping a little after sundown, but you wake up for a few hours (preferably naturally) in the early morning, then go back to sleep for a few hours. I dug into it a little bit when I was researching stuff for Pale Blue Scratch. That's how a lot of people slept, pre-electricity, it seems.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com