New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Review: "The Stars of His Coming"
This will be short for a number of reasons.

I read this book twice before, years ago, when I was online friends with the author's daughter. She had sent me this book for free (twice; I lost it once), and thankfully I take better care of my print books than I have in the past. Since then, he started a website to promote his central ideas and has attributed the book to the organization's name, instead of his personal name. 

The idea of a "Christian version" of the zodiac was of great interest to me, and it scratched the itch I had at the time. Revisiting it now, though, proved drudgery. Allen organized the content as well as he could, narratively, combining scripture and history with the Jewish interpretation of constellations, without making it a dry data table of information.

My interest only went so far this time. I can't speak for the sources Allen used for reference, but they undoubtedly mostly came from a Western and Dispensationalist perspective. Knowing this, they would equate Hellenized Judaism with the ancient Hebrew and Near East view of the world, which would be a unmistakable categorical error. Such a logical, cataglogue-oriented view of the constellations and heavenly events would be entirely foreign to the ancient Hebrew. We know this because the view that Allen says came from the Hebrew intellectual pedigree is patterned suspiciously after the thoroughly Western and pagan Roman and Greek zodiac. Like other intellectual pieces that emerged from the Hellenization of near east religious thought, he constellations had a patina of monotheistic meaning painted onto them, nothing more.

The claims made make for interesting reading, but as something that aligns with a heart-led, covenantal, view of the world, I'd give this book a hard pass.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
I look behind me and realize what a shocking difference it makes to embrace the heart-led way. I've had to discard an awful lot of what I once took as gospel. Indeed, I find myself dismissing the importance of things I once believed would carry me to my grave. Thus, you are hardly alone.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(05-03-2019, 12:03 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: I look behind me and realize what a shocking difference it makes to embrace the heart-led way. I've had to discard an awful lot of what I once took as gospel. Indeed, I find myself dismissing the importance of things I once believed would carry me to my grave. Thus, you are hardly alone.

Yeah, it sure seems that way. For me, personally, I still find value in it as a storytelling mechanism, whether or not it is true. Just like I do with pagan folktales and mythological narratives. But as far as having a bearing on religious reality or conviction, there's nothing.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com