New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting
YouTube. Banned TED Talk: The Science Delusion- Rupert Sheldrake at TEDx Whitechapel. And, I thought the science religion was monolithic. Judge for yourself.
Good find, Iain. Nothing he says surprises me; most of it seems familiar ground. I'll be looking into his longer talks to see if there's anything even more useful.

Edit: I was thinking about this very thing earlier today. But instead of the feeling I need to write about it, there was a sense it was something I need to consider how I might say it better when the times comes someone asks about it.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(04-17-2019, 02:42 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Good find, Iain. Nothing he says surprises me; most of it seems familiar ground. I'll be looking into his longer talks to see if there's anything even more useful.

Edit: I was thinking about this very thing earlier today. But instead of the feeling I need to write about it, there was a sense it was something I need to consider how I might say it better when the times comes someone asks about it.

It just happened to be one in the recommended section. I watch YouTube through the TV. TED is not something I normally watch and BANNED is a 99% guarantee that I will NOT watch so, I think it was Science Delusion that hooked me. I've only watched part of perhaps two of the TED Talks before I think "more Western claptrap". The TEDx lectures are a little better. I was down today with the gout and neck pain from Tuesday's exertions so, I watched YouTube. Guns, guns and inside the AC130 Spooky, now that one made me think "ya know the USAF could make a ton of money by allowing paying civilians a flight and letting them push the boom button". 
Backroad Biker Adventures is kinda the non mystical version of what I'd like to do. Watch his trailer and count how many times times he whispers "I gotta clear my head" before you yell at TV "your head ain't your problem dude" outside of that he does have good information on off grid on 2 wheels living.
   I've gotta do a health makeover before I go anywhere AND I need to start SOON or I won't be able to revive myself my "bady". I have radically slashed my IV Pepsi habit to one per day. Previously, apart from coffee in the morning I drank Pepsi all day. I've always liked it but, it's only over the last few years that I drank it continuously. Helton's don't get diabetes and I don't want to break with family tradition.
 I got a lot of work to do. Grow my own food 4 1. I need to holler across the holler and have my neighbor plough my garden. Rocky soil clearing is good exercise and that has to be done before I can use my Daddy's tiller.
I can understand your addiction to Pepsi, one of our family favorites. It's been three years since I dropped all caffeine and I still crave coffee every time I smell it; same with good chocolate. I don't have the option of growing my own food, but I do try to harvest a few wild edibles when in season.

I found a longer version of that same talk and I really like his list of ten basic precepts of Western epistemology. It summarizes materialism very nicely. I'm going to see if I can find a written summary somewhere and archive a copy for future use.
Saved it to a playlist. Will listen today at work.

I have my own thoughts on science in general, but I will wait until after I listen to post them.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
(04-18-2019, 04:42 AM)Ed Hurst Wrote: I can understand your addiction to Pepsi, one of our family favorites. It's been three years since I dropped all caffeine and I still crave coffee every time I smell it; same with good chocolate. I don't have the option of growing my own food, but I do try to harvest a few wild edibles when in season.

I found a longer version of that same talk and I really like his list of ten basic precepts of Western epistemology. It summarizes materialism very nicely. I'm going to see if I can find a written summary somewhere and archive a copy for future use.

I think, he plugs a book in that video. I have to have subtitles to watch TV and most YouTube are auto generated annnnnd they muff them some so, maybe he said something else. I can turn the volume up but, boy complains about the thin walls. 
"I'll pay to the cover the wall behind the TV with sound things" sez he. 
"I've got four 24" by 60" panels" I announce 
" when did...?" G
"Oh, I've had them for years" me
"Why don't you....?" G
"They won't solve the problem" me. The kid was looking pissed and puzzled. Puzzled okay, pissed not okay today 
"Define your problem, son" 
"The TV is too loud and I don't want to hear it" G
"Okay, do you know what it would take to achieve that?"
"No"
"Would you like a detailed explanation of what would have to be done to isolate your bedroom?"
" ah, forget it"
It's good to be the king.
Yeah, I chased down the book. There are no bootleg copies and I can't afford it, but he does host on his website some PDF copies of magazine articles about his ideas. One of them summarized his list of ten precepts and some explanation. That looked like a good place to start, but I'm already reading some other stuff, so it will have to wait.
(04-19-2019, 06:48 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Yeah, I chased down the book. There are no bootleg copies and I can't afford it, but he does host on his website some PDF copies of magazine articles about his ideas. One of them summarized his list of ten precepts and some explanation. That looked like a good place to start, but I'm already reading some other stuff, so it will have to wait.

I'll buy you a copy if you want. Smile I was going to buy myself one anyways. I listened to about 5 minutes of his talk at work but I got distracted with other things (I was at work, after all), but I definitely liked the cut of his jib.
Let me read the shorter article first. I'm not sure it's worth the money in the firsts place. He doesn't go where we go, but he does raise doubts that I find useful.
(04-19-2019, 09:16 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: Let me read the shorter article first. I'm not sure it's worth the money in the firsts place. He doesn't go where we go, but he does raise doubts that I find useful.

That's fine.

Rupert mentioned the universe's "habits," as in what we know of the universe scientifically . That would jibe with what we teach here about the universe (creation) being alive and autonomous. What we might discern, through science, as mechanistic laws would really be what the universe has developed so far as its "habit," like any other created being. If the universe is working on a much different time scale and scope, which I believe it is, what are really habits might appear to be static mechanisms. We don't see them changing because it's moving very slowly; we see a terribly small fraction of its "lifespan" (don't know what else to call it). Our understanding of the universe is a matter of perceptual scale, not degree of knowledge.