New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New old mission.
In the previous set of posts under "Bananas" or as I like to quirk as " bah nah nah" try it & sling the syllable emphaseize  around you'll enjoy it. Things like that are for me like little bits of Edenic kid like joy.
Those posts chronicle what was the worst "educating" by fire I've experienced thus far. I pray necessary future chastising ain't as traumatic. It was Christ cleansing the temple. To be prepared for my next assignment, stuff had to be set straight. 
 My gratitude to y'all my covenant kin... Words would just flop. I send from my heart to yours love, peace and blessing. You will know it when you receive it. Again, there is no telling where I could have wound up without your concern and replies, some I didn't "get" right away but did later. Nuff sed.
Before I wrecked my shoulder, I was working as a dishwasher in local restaurants. I liked it because everything I'd done before was stressful, deadline type stuff.Being in close proximity to a college town, kitchens are staffed by students and the bohemian, hedonistic and pseudo-intellectual sorts common to these communities. Strangely enough, I prefer the company of these freaks to my "christian brethren" . I think they're more honest about what they are and don't hide it behind a veil of hypocrisy.
Amongst these folks, I found quite a few kids who were raised Evangelical, got to college and had their beliefs deconstructed. Most didn't really care. There were a few who were what I called "evangelically damaged goods" . At the time, I felt for them but, didn't have much to offer other than "yeah, you were fed a load of crap but Jesus is still Jesus" . 
  Now, I am better prepared and because I need work now. I'm taking what's available nownow; the high calling of Dishwasher Guru. 
 Pray as the Spirit leads.
 Specific prayer request. That the people working on my son's vehicle get it done. Apparently, the fellow assigned the task went for a 2 week Florida vacation, right as he started on Boymobile and just got back. So, I have had to ride everywhere until I get MY car back from my kid. Not that I mind but, five minutes in a store, I sweat then I hit the road.mmmm.....chilly. SO, it'll be Saturday before I can make the rounds, hand out my phone number with "when you're dishwasher lays out, call and I'll be there" .
I like the sound of this plan. I've done similar work (lots of casual labor) in places that exposed me to all kinds and it was a blessing. That's the kind of thing I'm hoping to do again, myself.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Of course we'll pray about it. Especially your frosty commutes Smile. As always, let us know how things turn out.

(01-10-2019, 04:41 PM)IainH Wrote:  I was working as a dishwasher in local restaurants. I liked it because everything I'd done before was stressful, deadline type stuff.Being in close proximity to a college town, kitchens are staffed by students and the bohemian, hedonistic and pseudo-intellectual sorts common to these communities. Strangely enough, I prefer the company of these freaks to my "christian brethren" . I think they're more honest about what they are and don't hide it behind a veil of hypocrisy.

I experienced this in my metal band days. Getting to hang out with those types, I often felt at home more than at churches. Of course there were some sketchy characters, but metal folks by nature sense something deeply wrong about Western life, and tend to be cynical about a lot of things we should be cynical about, though they come to some wrong conclusions about it.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
(01-10-2019, 05:43 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: I like the sound of this plan. I've done similar work (lots of casual labor) in places that exposed me to all kinds and it was a blessing. That's the kind of thing I'm hoping to do again, myself.
We go wherever He leads, mon.
It took Jesus three years to train disciples. Judging by the record, he had an uphill challenge the whole way turning their orientation right. Here is what my heart thinks; it ain't no different today. To make a disciple today, their assumptions need to be turned right side up. It is my conviction that going back to work in a kitchen at whatever restaurant in Blowing Rock is what I must do. I will work with young adults mainly who, provided they ain't bums, I enjoy. I treat them as equals and not as "young skulls full of mush" Ah, jiminy.... What's the word????? I don't patronize (yay, that's the one) as a lot of people over 40 do. THUS SAITH THE LORD "uh....Mr Iain just be the 'you' I made you to be" yessir, I can absotootly do that...shoot fire & breathe matches..i'm a doin' that right now!  One thing for sure most of these young'uns have excellent BS detectors. Yeeech, I do twaddle on. Crackle buzz static radio tuning racket.....incoming heart to brain Holy Transmission...--...-.-.--.(I don't know morse so pretend). Ed your presence is required out there in meat space summers. A small bidness, family atmosphere amongst the people that work there. ooh....okay then...
(01-10-2019, 11:13 PM)jaybreak Wrote: Of course we'll pray about it. Especially your frosty commutes Smile. As always, let us know how things turn out.

(01-10-2019, 04:41 PM)IainH Wrote:  I was working as a dishwasher in local restaurants. I liked it because everything I'd done before was stressful, deadline type stuff.Being in close proximity to a college town, kitchens are staffed by students and the bohemian, hedonistic and pseudo-intellectual sorts common to these communities. Strangely enough, I prefer the company of these freaks to my "christian brethren" . I think they're more honest about what they are and don't hide it behind a veil of hypocrisy.

I experienced this in my metal band days. Getting to hang out with those types, I often felt at home more than at churches. Of course there were some sketchy characters, but metal folks by nature sense something deeply wrong about Western life, and tend to be cynical about a lot of things we should be cynical about, though they come to some wrong conclusions about it.

I like the same company that Jesus did and get the same reaction He got from the Religious establishment.So, I must be doing something right.
Music; I'm a blank generation rock n roll guy. I  easier to say who I hate....KISS, Hair Bands except motley crue and that's Mick Mars guitar work really. I don't like Elvis after his debut album and the white guys singing black artists songs like Pat Boone etc. 
For worship I like hymns, old time black gospel and a few southern gospel. I don't like "choruses" 
 I love way we can just wander all over the place here.
 blessings on you, brother.
PS. Metal; the 24 minute sonic assault of Slayer's Reign in Blood, Hard to beat imo.
(01-11-2019, 03:08 AM)IainH Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 11:13 PM)jaybreak Wrote: Of course we'll pray about it. Especially your frosty commutes Smile. As always, let us know how things turn out.

I like the same company that Jesus did and get the same reaction He got from the Religious establishment.So, I must be doing something right.
Music; I'm a blank generation rock n roll guy. I  easier to say who I hate....KISS, Hair Bands except motley crue and that's Mick Mars guitar work really. I don't like Elvis after his debut album and the white guys singing black artists songs like Pat Boone etc. 
For worship I like hymns, old time black gospel and a few southern gospel. I don't like "choruses" 
 I love way we can just wander all over the place here.
 blessings on you, brother.
PS. Metal; the 24 minute sonic assault of Slayer's Reign in Blood, Hard to beat imo.

For his era, I remember hearing all about Mick Mars and how good his guitar sound was love. Part of that was his playing, but there were other factors involved (technicians, etc)

Reign In Blood is one of the best metal albums made. I never got into them though, as they were a tad before my time.

Most of the bands I was/are into were a little under the radar, though a lot of the metal has gotten traction in the last decade because of good recording technology being a lot cheaper and the Internet and all.
Aaaaahhh!!! I lost my post. Stupid thumb! ( I'm wallerin' in the tub, sweatin out toxins) Well...here's a shorter version. I play rhythm-lead so do my fave players like Pete Townsend and the other blues rock dudes from the sixties thru to the death of Rock n Roll in late nineties. That's what I play. I gotta '13 Gibson LP Studio Deluxe in Cherry Sunburst open hb's burstbuster pro bridge and 598 neck, 60''s profile neck ( excellent playability especially for small hands or large palm and regler fingers: me). My Combo is special; a 1983 Peavey Renown 212 all American. Made in Ms Sippi. First Solid State amp, that I played that sounded like a tubey. I've had it long time. Used a Boss DS-1 back in the day, we kinda sucked at Thrash but, it was fun. I had difficulty with the solo's (no sheet music) I spent most of my time teaching my buddy the "rhythm"' parts. We did do a version of South of Heaven that was either acceptable ( if our arpeggios "clicked") or not ( a coffee can of old nails, washers, screws and junk emptied into a steel wash tub). I've got a portable digital 8 track recording rig, circa 2008. I played my geetar last night, 1st time in three months.
Almost none of that means anything to me, Iain, but I know when I like the sound of someone on electric guitar. My tastes are frankly rather pedestrian for a Baby Boomer. That said, I really believe we should all be careful to keep track of who we are and stay with it, as you've indicated already. Keep playing as much as you can hear.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(01-14-2019, 04:53 PM)IainH Wrote: Aaaaahhh!!! I lost my post. Stupid thumb! ( I'm wallerin' in the tub, sweatin out toxins) Well...here's a shorter version. I play rhythm-lead so do my fave players like Pete Townsend and the other blues rock dudes from the sixties thru to the death of Rock n Roll in late nineties. That's what I play. I gotta '13 Gibson LP Studio Deluxe in Cherry Sunburst open hb's burstbuster pro bridge and 598 neck, 60''s profile neck ( excellent playability especially for small hands or large palm and regler fingers: me). My Combo is special; a 1983 Peavey Renown 212 all American. Made in Ms Sippi. First Solid State amp, that I played that sounded like a tubey. I've had it long time. Used a Boss DS-1 back in the day, we kinda sucked at Thrash but, it was fun. I had difficulty with the solo's (no sheet music) I spent most of my time teaching my buddy the "rhythm"' parts. We did do a version of South of Heaven that was either acceptable ( if our arpeggios "clicked") or not ( a coffee can of old nails, washers, screws and junk emptied into a steel wash tub). I've got a portable digital 8 track recording rig, circa 2008. I played my geetar last night, 1st time in three months.

Those Boss petals were tanks. If you knew a bit of soldering, they will last decades. That distortion one's sound is classic.

Peavey makes some good stuff. I tend to prefer their sound over the typical Marshall stacks, though I have to admit the Marshall sound is hard to screw up.

I don't have any instruments now, but my favorite toy was the Gibson Gothic SG. I recorded an EP with my last band on that. The fret action was too good for words.
(01-15-2019, 04:32 AM)jaybreak Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 04:53 PM)IainH Wrote: Aaaaahhh!!! I lost my post. Stupid thumb! ( I'm wallerin' in the tub, sweatin out toxins) Well...here's a shorter version. I play rhythm-lead so do my fave players like Pete Townsend and the other blues rock dudes from the sixties thru to the death of Rock n Roll in late nineties. That's what I play. I gotta '13 Gibson LP Studio Deluxe in Cherry Sunburst open hb's burstbuster pro bridge and 598 neck, 60''s profile neck ( excellent playability especially for small hands or large palm and regler fingers: me). My Combo is special; a 1983 Peavey Renown 212 all American. Made in Ms Sippi. First Solid State amp, that I played that sounded like a tubey. I've had it long time. Used a Boss DS-1 back in the day, we kinda sucked at Thrash but, it was fun. I had difficulty with the solo's (no sheet music) I spent most of my time teaching my buddy the "rhythm"' parts. We did do a version of South of Heaven that was either acceptable ( if our arpeggios "clicked") or not ( a coffee can of old nails, washers, screws and junk emptied into a steel wash tub). I've got a portable digital 8 track recording rig, circa 2008. I played my geetar last night, 1st time in three months.

Those Boss petals were tanks. If you knew a bit of soldering, they will last decades. That distortion one's sound is classic.

Peavey makes some good stuff. I tend to prefer their sound over the typical Marshall stacks, though I have to admit the Marshall sound is hard to screw up.

I don't have any instruments now, but my favorite toy was the Gibson Gothic SG. I recorded an EP with my last band on that. The fret action was too good for words.

The last time a played in a band was 1988, there was still a circuit of rock clubs at that time. I had my Peavey and an Ibanez by then, it was a nice playing instrument. I had the old round head Shure mic, which could be used as a hammer. I was rhythm behind a SRV wannabe. He was actually quite good well, better than me. Blues Rock easy and fun. I quit when I became an Evangachristonatic and sold all those Devil things except my amp. Then, I found out that no one actually practiced what they preached and started searching for real and here I am.