New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoulder
Going to see the ortho re: my shoulder tomorrow. It's been really bad for the last few weeks, where the pain isn't acute but it's pretty constant. It sometimes screws up my sleep and it wears me out easily. On a normal work day it wipes me out, which is why I haven't been as active as I want to be, on here.

It's very minor in the scheme of things, but it does affect me here, which is the worst part.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
(12-05-2018, 09:03 AM)jaybreak Wrote: Going to see the ortho re: my shoulder tomorrow. It's been really bad for the last few weeks, where the pain isn't acute but it's pretty constant. It sometimes screws up my sleep and it wears me out easily. On a normal work day it wipes me out, which is why I haven't been as active as I want to be, on here.

It's very minor in the scheme of things, but it does affect me here, which is the worst part.

Well, when my shoulder was BAD, sleep was elusive, certain arm movements were deeply painful and days were a challenge.  Fortunately for me, it was my left shoulder.  I am a rightie....

Keep us posted as well as you can!

PS.  I am obviously getting notifications now.   Smile
Shoulder trouble is something I can also empathize with. Here's hoping it's something your provider can treat. You are too young for arthritis.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
My shoulder still bothers my sometimes but, nothing remotely as much as before my surgery. I get an ache and feel where they installed the pins are. I have arthritic spurs in my hands and wrists, on my spine and right hip, mostly it's an inconvenience but, upholstery makes my hands hurt something fierce at times, thank goodness for Tiger Balm! Arthritis runs in the family.
It's calcific tendonitis, not arthritis (thankfully); a glob of calcium between the tendon and bone that's gotten big enough to start irritating the tendon. I've had it for 1 1/2 years. In many cases the calcium dissolves away on its own, other times it needs to be surgically removed. I have surgery the 19th. Doc wasn't sure of the recovery time without an MRI, which I declined to take because it wasn't necessary and would just push the schedule back. I may need rotator cuff repair if they have to dig in too much.

I also have to get a few exams done before surgery, in preparation. Obviously has to be last minute...so I hope I can get those scheduled. Oi vey.
(12-06-2018, 10:04 AM)jaybreak Wrote: It's calcific tendonitis, not arthritis (thankfully); a glob of calcium between the tendon and bone that's gotten big enough to start irritating the tendon. I've had it for 1 1/2 years. In many cases the calcium dissolves away on its own, other times it needs to be surgically removed. I have surgery the 19th. Doc wasn't sure of the recovery time without an MRI, which I declined to take because it wasn't necessary and would just push the schedule back. I may need rotator cuff repair if they have to dig in too much.

I also have to get a few exams done before surgery, in preparation. Obviously has to be last minute...so I hope I can get those scheduled. Oi vey.

Well, again, let me know if you have any questions regarding post op pain, recovery, physical therapy, etc.  Regardless of severity, they will have to make small arthroscopic incisions and "mess with" nerves, etc.
(12-07-2018, 11:28 AM)forrealone Wrote:
(12-06-2018, 10:04 AM)jaybreak Wrote: It's calcific tendonitis, not arthritis (thankfully); a glob of calcium between the tendon and bone that's gotten big enough to start irritating the tendon. I've had it for 1 1/2 years. In many cases the calcium dissolves away on its own, other times it needs to be surgically removed. I have surgery the 19th. Doc wasn't sure of the recovery time without an MRI, which I declined to take because it wasn't necessary and would just push the schedule back. I may need rotator cuff repair if they have to dig in too much.

Well, again, let me know if you have any questions regarding post op pain, recovery, physical therapy, etc.  Regardless of severity, they will have to make small arthroscopic incisions and "mess with" nerves, etc.

They gave me a big sling to stabilize my arm, but also this shoulder pauldron type of thing for a cold pack that will go directly on the shoulder. It's pretty involved. I've noticed there's a lot of those types of things for post-op on shoulders. One thing I've wondered about those in general: wouldn't you want to keep the cold off, so that more blood can flow there, for quicker healing, etc?

Also, I'll probably be getting codeine for pain. I had it once before, after my appendectomy. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Ice keeps the swelling down and increases mobility. I have to do that with my knee now and then. When it gets too stiff, I know it's time for the ice pack.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(12-09-2018, 12:22 AM)jaybreak Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 11:28 AM)forrealone Wrote:

They gave me a big sling to stabilize my arm, but also this shoulder pauldron type of thing for a cold pack that will go directly on the shoulder. It's pretty involved. I've noticed there's a lot of those types of things for post-op on shoulders. One thing I've wondered about those in general: wouldn't you want to keep the cold off, so that more blood can flow there, for quicker healing, etc?

Also, I'll probably be getting codeine for pain. I had it once before, after my appendectomy. Just wanted to throw that out there.
No, the gizmo (polar care unit) pumps ice water through the tubing and keeps that shoulder area COLD for a few days.  It manages inflammation, swelling and pain.  For that first three days post-op, I had that, an interscalene catheter and a sling.  The catheter was inserted into my neck and the other end came out of a belly pack.  It dripped numbing meds into the nerves in that area so I didn't feel a thing.  I also took pain meds as often as I could according to prescription during those first three days.  I started physical therapy 5 days after surgery.  This was the process done after my second surgery on that left shoulder.  Therapy was difficult at first and my PT, who has known me for years, pushed me but not to the point of agony!  I healed quickly and was back in the swing of my things after about three months.  By the way, after I took the sling off three days later, I was VERY careful with any movement.  And, I pretty much stayed on a pain management regimen for a week or so.  I just took them less often.  AND, before PT, I always took a pill.  After a couple weeks or so, the pain was completely manageable for me.  Keep in mind, I have been in constant pain for over 20 years, so my tolerance level is different as  is everybody's.  DON'T hurt beyond your limit......

My surgery was on December 26th 2012.  What is it about Christmas and surgeries?????    Lol
Hey Jay

I am thinking about you and I am sure you hurt right about now.  Give it a few days and it will let up, I promise.  Be careful, go slow, and be patient with yourself and keep your expectations low so as not to push yourself too hard too soon, ok?

Love you and feel for you.