New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JOB!
I had an interview this afternoon at Fairfield Chair Company, where I started back in 1984. It went well and they want me back in the morning to see things as they work. Apparently the upholsterers cleared the floor and left early, it happens when there is gravy, that is pieces they can make good money on. Anyway, there are still people there I know. I'd like the job and ending my career where I started has a certain symmetry to it.
 Y'all can pray that I git it. It would most certainly make for a thaw at home.
(09-25-2018, 05:56 PM)IainH Wrote: I had an interview this afternoon at Fairfield Chair Company, where I started back in 1984. It went well and they want me back in the morning to see things as they work. Apparently the upholsterers cleared the floor and left early, it happens when there is gravy, that is pieces they can make good money on. Anyway, there are still people there I know. I'd like the job and ending my career where I started has a certain symmetry to it.
 Y'all can pray that I git it. It would most certainly make for a thaw at home.

Awww!  That is really interesting and cool, Iain!  Of course, I will pray for you and that Father will bless you richly!   Love you, brother!
Good news, indeed, Iain. May the Lord give you favor in their sight.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Good to hear another possibility opening up. Did that other prospect you had mentioned dry up?
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
I got the upholstery job at Fairfield Chair Company beginning 10/15. Pays $15/hr to start and 12 weeks to reach production, I'd say a month tops. They had me come in and build a chair, it was like I'd never left. They do some things differently than the old days and that's the only thing I'll need to learn. Sams Purse couldn't pay anything close. If I can average $20/hr I be more than happy. In two years both my kids will be in college. By the time my daughter gets her bachelors I'll be 61 and she's talking grad school, I'll be working til I die! Or, she can get a job and pay for it herself.
Nice! God is good.

What does the "12 weeks/month tops" line mean?
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
(09-26-2018, 11:05 PM)IainH Wrote: I got the upholstery job at Fairfield Chair Company beginning 10/15. Pays $15/hr to start and 12 weeks to reach production, I'd say a month tops. They had me come in and build a chair, it was like I'd never left. They do some things differently than the old days and that's the only thing I'll need to learn. Sams Purse couldn't pay anything close. If I can average $20/hr I be more than happy. In two years both my kids will be in college. By the time my daughter gets her bachelors I'll be 61 and she's talking grad school, I'll be working til I die! Or, she can get a job and pay for it herself.

Oh!  I am sooo happy for you!  Praise the Lord.  Is this job going to challenge your body and cause you problems?  I ask, so in case it may, I will be SURE to include that in my prayers for you!
(09-27-2018, 07:01 AM)forrealone Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 11:05 PM)IainH Wrote: I got the upholstery job at Fairfield Chair Company beginning 10/15. Pays $15/hr to start and 12 weeks to reach production, I'd say a month tops. They had me come in and build a chair, it was like I'd never left. They do some things differently than the old days and that's the only thing I'll need to learn. Sams Purse couldn't pay anything close. If I can average $20/hr I be more than happy. In two years both my kids will be in college. By the time my daughter gets her bachelors I'll be 61 and she's talking grad school, I'll be working til I die! Or, she can get a job and pay for it herself.

Oh!  I am sooo happy for you!  Praise the Lord.  Is this job going to challenge your body and cause you problems?  I ask, so in case it may, I will be SURE to include that in my prayers for you!
  Love ya Sis. You are of immeasurable value to us all!

(09-27-2018, 04:54 AM)jaybreak Wrote: Nice! God is good.

What does the "12 weeks/month tops" line mean?

Ok, I'll try not to be a "blabberpost" and go off topic.
 12 weeks; each furniture manufacturer will have slight differences in styles and how they are built, usually expressed informally as "there's a right way a wrong way and the 'fill in the blank company ' way". The employee will be paid an hourly rate for a specified period so they can familiarize and at least build enough per day to match their pay (making production is the term). After this, the employee is paid based on pieces built, each piece comes with a ticket that has a $ figure. At the end of the day ya add 'em up, $200 is a good day. Even though the FNG is being paid hourly he/she still turns in their tickets as an indicator of progress.
A month tops; Back in the day, it took me around two weeks to exceed the flat rate. I figure that not having worked production for 20 years it might take a little longer to make production.
Additionally, if after a couple of weeks one day I make $16/hr, I'd get paid the extra buck/hr for that day.
Also, holiday pay, attendance and vacation bonuses are based on average earnings, typically over the previous six months.
All in all, for a person in the rural South with no more than a GED, it's the best deal they can get. It beats the chit out of the alternative, $8/hr at Wal-Mart or same such.
sjw's call piece work exploitative but, homes have been bought and many a kid has a college degree thanks to the furniture industry.
Sorry, another blabberpost. I'm gregarious, so shoot me!
Thanks for sharing the good news. We rejoice with you in God's favor.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Thanks gang! Y'all are good to me, God hears and answers your prayers on my behalf to His Glory and it don't get any better than that.