New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job
I've applied for a job at Samaritan's Purse in housekeeping, simple no pressure job. It's what I need right now. I haven't worked much since I injured my shoulder three years ago and it's been 11 months since my surgery and the house cleaning I do is "whenever I feel like it" as long as it's done before visitors arrive.
 I took a walk round one of the upholstery plants where I used to work, the boss was I guy I upholstered with back in the day. The noise and machine gun cacophony of staple guns reminded me of all the stress that goes with piece work, gotta make that $ hustle. I confess it freaked me out. I'm not ready for that. All I've ever done is high pressure, stress filled work. When I was a Maintenance Mechanic I worked on the most profitable machines they had so, when one was down I had to get it running pronto. That was when I started having panic attacks.
Yeah, it don't pay much but, that is good. I have a junior and a senior in HS and for good or ill there are more scholarships and financial aid for poor people. When they graduate college, perhaps I'll  do something more lucrative maybe even start my dream job building custom motorcycles. Or, pack my stuff and ride wherever the road takes me, a country boy can survive.
Pray as led for God's Glory to shine, that's all I care about everything else is fluff.

Addendum: I've seen so many men over the years who worked production, slinging those pieces out just as swooft* as they did in their 30's up until they retired, only to drop dead of heart failure within a year. I've seen others, younger men in their 40's and 50's die of heart explosions. Good guys who were my friends that I laughed and horsed around with and have a cold brew with. Family men who busted their butts to bring home the bacon. Production work is hard on a man it wears them out. But, the assholes, like my uncle Gene 82, seem to just keep on truckin'. It's the age old question, why do wicked prosper? They do because they're made for this world.

*swooft= country fried expression for someone who works fast. 
" Dang it! Cooter is twice my age and builds 3 pieces to my 2, no matter how hard I try, why fer is that Johnny? " 
" He's swooft, Hank"
 " Well, when he ain't looking' I'm a gonna spike his Hawaiian Punch with shine! "
 " It won't slow him down none Hank, it'll just make him mouthy"
An Uncle Hubert tale "Song of the New South"
Swooft, indeed. The clock is the harshest task master. May the Lord be merciful to you in your efforts.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(09-20-2018, 01:06 AM)IainH Wrote:  

why do wicked prosper? They do because they're made for this world.

I, for one, always welcome Iain's bits of folk wisdom, which is really just normal wisdom from a...folk?

Anyways, the Lord's will will be done. Thanks for bringing this to us. Let us know how it turns out.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com