New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it wrong to use images for purposes of worship?
I'm specifically thinking of icons here, which have a very unique beauty to them, in my opinion. I don't use images for purposes of worship ... yet ... but I want to hear some opinions.

A question I have: If praying before an icon (or, praying before a specific object) is idolatry, then is praying before "nothing" (or, no specific object) also somehow an idolatry of negation?
Idolatry is not the act, but what's in your heart. The implication of the term "idolatry" is divided loyalty. There is no condemnation of genuine loyalty to one thing or another; it's called idolatry when you belong (under covenant) to one deity and show loyalty to a competitor.

The problem with religious icons is how easily the average worshiper gets lost. A genuine mystic has no problem with them. By extension, the issue then becomes one of leading others astray. This is what Paul meant in 1 Corinthians 8 when he said an idol is nothing, really. But we are often in the company of fellow believers who haven't progressed far enough to handle it like that. So in private worship, God knows your heart and it's between you and Him. In more public worship, we have to consider the influence of our private choices. You can make idolatry out of anything or nothing, as you suggest.

The implication of our covenant here on this issue is: Use what works for you and your witness. We aren't facing the problems Paul did, but be prepared for folks to misunderstand.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
There's a novel written by Jorge Amado, called "Tent of Miracles", wherein a few of the characters are makers of religious icons. The making of the icon is, in effect, an act of worship. If you're artistic at all, you might want to try it. It's an interesting process.

I think it's quite "natural" for human beings to need some sort of imagery to assist them in prayer, at least at some point in their lives. We're visual creatures, and easily distracted; the focus on an image or icon can help to focus our attention, and our *intention*, too. Looking at what sort of icons we're attracted to or repulsed by is a way to explore what we believe, what sort of image of the Divine we have in our heads. We can then offer that to our hearts which will show us where our thinking might be leading us astray or, conversely, illuminate our understanding further.

Symbols are interesting things, they often express layers of meaning that are highly individual. So the image of Mary holding the body of Christ will mean one thing to you, another to me, but both are valid.
It's not as though you could happily reside in God's good graces and He will pull an "Oopsies, you used icons. You actually don't believe." Context is everything and reality doesn't pull gotchas on believers. At least, unpleasant gotchas; we should expect good surprises along the way when we go with the flow of creation.

God might use technicalities in some situations but an honest willingness is weighed more heavily, to put it in crude terms. As you and Ed said, anything can be made into an idol, so focusing on an image (sorry for the pun) as misdirected worship is missing the point of what idolatry is, or how it could affect young believers.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com