New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad days lately
A couple months ago, I was told that an old friend, Dean,  who used to teach the girls when they were little had fallen and broken his hip.  He lives near Charlotte and was in the hospital for over a month due to complications.  As soon as I heard about his hip, I started sending him cards every week in care of his daughter who also lives in Charlotte. 
He was released a month ago into rehab.  Last Monday, he was released from rehab and was doing really well.  He went to stay with his daughter until he was able to go home. I sent another card on Wednesday with a happy face on it since he was finally able to go "home".   

He passed away Thursday, the next night. When I heard the news on Friday, I sent a sympathy card to his daughter and family.  No more get well cards.  It made me very sad. 

Yesterday afternoon, Marianne (my mother-in-law) called to let me know that my brother-in-law Bryce was in the ICU at the hospital in a town down towards the coast.    After several hours of back and forth conversations with her and the hospital, she is going to fly down there probably Wednesday.  I am probably going to drive down and get her at that airport and then we will figure out what to do from there.

He has liver failure - cirrhosis (probably stage 4), kidney failure, pneumonia, full body edema (generalized edema),  c-diff and who knows what all else.  The hospital suggested that no one sign a DNR.  His wife (they split up a couple years ago) made it to the hospital yesterday and is freaking out.  She went back home for now.

Please pray that Our Father's will be done, that Bryce need suffer no more, that we all have strength and faith to pass through this whatever it turns out to be.

Thanks!  Love you all
Just an update....   I will be leaving tomorrow, no later than noon.  It's about 100 miles from here.  I will get there early enough to find a hotel room or something for we three ladies - my mom-in-law, sis-in-law and myself.  I have no idea how long we will be there, but I will reserve from Weds nite through Sunday morning. 

Latest news from hospital is, as I word it,: stable, but in critical condition.  His kidney function is worsening; his liver is barely hanging on.  He is jaundiced (turned yellow).  He is going through DT's - alcohol withdrawal, which is wreaking havoc on his heart, lungs, etc.  Dialysis is possible, but that means superficial surgery to place a subcutaneous port to remove and return blood.  No idea if they are even considering it, but without it, he may die.  I think that is going to be the outcome, barring a literal miracle from the Lord.

I will keep you posted as I am able.  Borrowing a hotspot from my daughter jic I have no wifi for some reason.  I don't pay for data on my cell plan.

Anyway, take care, God bless and I thank Him for another day!!

Gotta run - granddaughter has a doctor appointment I am taking her to.
Oh my Linda…. A couple of really heavy burdens back to back. Praying right now for you, Bryce and his family for strength, peace and God’s will to be done.
Praying on my end as well. Please update as it becomes easy for you.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
May the Lord show all of you His mercy.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Thank you all!  Means a lot to me. Smile Heart 

Finally home, after i went to doctor with Emma, and ate with the kids.  It is now time to lockup, draw the blinds and make my list for the trip. 

God bless and keep you all in His good care and ever loving arms!

L
Here's an update I received from forrealone via text:

Quote:Good morning.  I just woke up at hotel. 
Things are and probably will continue to be stable but critical. He will probably be in ICU another two weeks or more.  I am going home tomorrow.  "Mom" Marianne is going home Monday night.
Its kind of wait and see...
Sis in law Bridget wants us to stay but we have stuff at home to do and hotels are too expensive. I will try to come back but not sure when.
So pray for Bryce to get through the alcohol DTs, respond to treatment, but livers don't heal from cirrhosis...  got to go and get ready to eat and get to hospital.  Can you share with forum for me please?
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Thanks, Jay. It's best that we pray knowing the situation.
Hi all.  I just got home.  I truly needed a break and some rest.  I spoke to the doctor this morning.  I asked her straight up, between you and me, will he be going home?  She said probably not.  I asked her how long she thought he may have.  She said "days to weeks".

He was kind of awake and talking yesterday.  His vitals were good until he got agitated then they weren't.  The others (sis and mom in law) thought being awake means "doing better".  Today, he kinda was awake, but quite agitated.  Although they had taken him off the sedative last night, he will probably be back on it soon.  IV sedative.

I will call mom-in-law tonight for an update, call hospital tomorrow for a doctor update and go from there.  His wife wanted me to stay.  So far, I have spent several $100 already.....   Affording another visit is not really feasible for me.  At least not until I HAVE to go.  Sigh.

This has brought out a lot of emotions for me.  He looks a lot like my husband - they are brothers after all.  And just having lost Lyn....  well, it's tough.

But I am okay for now.  I will be home for now anyway until I'm not - will keep you all posted.  Thank you for your prayers.  Heart Heart
Thanks for the update, Sister. Don't carry all of it alone.