New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dad
Dad died yesterday in hospice care, nearly a year after mom passed. We had just moved him into a new place, too, and was just getting settled in, although I don't think that was a major factor in him passing. The last time I saw him was the 28th last month, for a little get together for my daughter's 18th, and he was alert and aware of everything (as much as he could be at 88, with dementia). He's been on constant oxygen for a few weeks leading up to dying, and just slowly deteriorating...what's called "transitioning" in care terms. So it wasn't a total surprise for anyone, but he did transition rather quickly.

My sisters are getting things ready with the funeral home and church. I'm writing the obituary and making a memorial video, just like I did with mom. So, lots of work to do in the coming week.

That's all. Thank you for the support, family Smile
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
(11-22-2023, 09:19 AM)jaybreak Wrote: Dad died yesterday in hospice care, nearly a year after mom passed. We had just moved him into a new place, too, and was just getting settled in, although I don't think that was a major factor in him passing. The last time I saw him was the 28th last month, for a little get together for my daughter's 18th, and he was alert and aware of everything (as much as he could be at 88, with dementia). He's been on constant oxygen for a few weeks leading up to dying, and just slowly deteriorating...what's called "transitioning" in care terms. So it wasn't a total surprise for anyone, but he did transition rather quickly.

My sisters are getting things ready with the funeral home and church. I'm writing the obituary and making a memorial video, just like I did with mom. So, lots of work to do in the coming week.

That's all. Thank you for the support, family Smile
Gosh, Jay.  I am so sorry.  For you.  You certainly have been facing some challenges this past year and my heart aches for yours.  I know men perhaps don't feel like we women do, but I would have to think this has been difficult for you. 
I also feel sad for your children and the rest of your family.  To lose both parent/grandparents so close in time to one another is difficult. 
If there is ANYTHING I can do beyond my prayers, please let me know!  If you need a break, you are welcome to come visit.

That video of your Mom was beautiful!  What a wonderful tribute.

Prayers lifting for you all!!
My condolences Jay... It's always hard to lose a parent and as Linda said above this has been a difficult year for you. Praying for God's peace and blessing in your time of loss.
Amen to the other comments. The last few years have been tough on you, Jay. May the Lord grant you peace.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Thanks everyone Smile I'll post more here in the coming days. Things have been busy.
Dad's obituary is now up. 

Obituary for Nickolas Joseph DiNitto | Slattery Funeral Home

More soon. Busy busy...
Quite the man; nice write-up, Jay. May Lord grant you strength to finish all the chores laid on your shoulders.
We got back from Dad's funeral yesterday afternoon. Everything went fine. It was less busy than Mom's wake and funeral. She definitely the extroverted and party planner/hostess of the two...a natural friend-maker and literally a career receptionist. Dad wasn't like that at all, but instead went with the flow of things and had his own interests: woodworking and history. Not quite the social hobbies.

Like Mom, I have a page up, with the memorial video and the text of the eulogy my brother wrote:
https://nickj.jaydinitto.com/

Thanks for the prayers, family Smile
Nice slide show. The music was period correct, but twice was enough; I turned off the sound and watched to the end. I recognized yours and your daughter’s faces, but I haven’t seen enough of your son to do so. I take the tall fellow is your brother?
He would always launch into that song as a joke, when family get togethers were winding down. I know it annoyed some people.

This is really the only recent photo of Nick with Dad, on that page. Of course he had to make a face there:
https://nickj.jaydinitto.com/img/78.jpg

I have a nephew in the photos who's pretty tall. This one is my brother, Jonathan:
https://nickj.jaydinitto.com/img/64.jpg