New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPad Fund
I reckon I'm supposed to announce that the iPad fund is accepting donations. The first donor has already notified me that "it's in the mail". In case you are wondering, the target is an iPad Pro 11"; this will come with a SIM card slot. If there's enough, I'll also get the keyboard folio. I'm aiming to make this thing my "computer" for most uses. No, I don't have PayPal any more because they started locking accounts of people who publish the kind of stuff I do. Unless you know how to do a bank transfer, you'll just have to send a check. Take your time; this is a long term project. What I really need right now is for you to pray with me, because I need to do some preparatory work to make sure I am ready to use it.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Is the reason for the iPad is that you don't have a laptop? Or are you cleaning out your hardware?

My daughter uses her iPad a ton and it seems to hold up well.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
I gave my last laptop to my son for his side business. It occurred to me I got more use out of the Android tablet I had a few years ago, especially with its SIM card, so I started looking into all the options and praying the last couple of months. I don't want another Android device, and the Chromebook I had was too confining. There is no ideal OS, but I've played with Mac stuff from time to time. An iPad should hold up well, as you say, and I can take it a lot more places. My old desktop system may keep working for a long time to come, but I can't drag it around, and I really wasn't eager to travel with a laptop, either, having tried that recently. All things considered, this choice seemed about the best I could do.
Never mind. The amount received was extravagant, over $3K. I'll get an iPad with all the bells and whistles and some high-priced Apple software to go with it. Give thanks to the Lord.
That's great, Ed! God is good for sure Smile

You've probably already thought of this, but I would definitely get Apple Care, since you have the money to spare. I've never had a bad experience when dealing with Apple's customer service/repair. I guess it's kinda pricey for a reason?

https://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad/
Good idea. Since I'm buying it from T-Mobile, it comes with insurance that covers that. Their website says that it includes Apple Care specifically. I should have the device in my hands not later than Wednesday.
Awesome. The folio keyboards work well, too, I've heard.
The Lord be praised! I’m typing this from the new device. Now I have a steep learning curve to climb getting used to all the ways it is so different. It’s been a hard start already, but by His mercy, I’ll get it.
You got it already. Great! Did you visit an Apple store?

Let the blessings flow Smile
I did not; the nearest Apple Store is many miles away, across the OKC Metro. I had only some technical information and felt it was worth getting the Pro model, but didn't know which size. So, I went to Best Buy and looked them over. I realized that the 13" was too large for the purpose. Now I'm learning how to use it for the same tasks I've been using a regular computer for, as much as possible.

I'll be honest: I still don't have a clear vision of everything. I'm not ditching my Linux server. All I know is that I need to be able to travel light, however far I travel, because it will be important in the future. I'm still praying I'll understand and not take off down some wrong path. Indeed, let the blessings flow.