New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noahide Law
At some point when explaining God's covenant with all humanity through the Noahide Law Covenant, I will be asked to support my position with Scripture. I'll need to because, I'm dealing with Westernized Christians. The image of tilling the soil is a recurring  theme that comes to me. If I get the go ahead to teach a class, my subject will be Law Covenants in the Bible. The idea has been simmering for at least the last year and I've been taking notes for the entire time. I just need to organize them into coherence. I have plenty of experience teaching Sunday School for Adults, young adults and little'uns. It's all in the Lord's hands now and prayers are always appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Way back in my blog archives I covered this in a whole series. Here's the shortest installment to get you started:

Quote:In the past, when discussing the Covenent of Noah, I've been told by a few people I must be making this up. Actually, this is something entirely solid in Hebrew history. Even under the mistaken notions of the Talmud, Jewish scholars today recognize it as quite ancient. I usually don't care much for the way Wikipedia covers things, but this one is rather well done: Seven Laws of Noah.
  1. Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God.

2. Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder. (Genesis 9:6)

3. Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.

4. Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: You shall not commit any of a series of sexual prohibitions, which include adultery, incest, bestiality and male homosexual intercourse.

5. Prohibition of Blasphemy: You shall not blaspheme God's name.

6. Dietary Law: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive. (Genesis 9:4)

7. Requirement to have just Laws: You shall set up an effective judiciary to enforce the preceding six laws fairly.
It should be obvious the Jerusalem Council saw no need to restate 2, 3, 5 and 7. Blasphemy was too obvious, and the rest were covered under civil law already.

I note that this is pretty close to what took place in Acts 15. Here's another quote:

Quote: [The above] represents modern Jewish scholarship on the Bible passage near the end of Genesis 8, and into chapter 9. I would suggest their current major mistake is thinking Noah falls under Moses, whereas Jesus and the Apostles said the Covenant of Moses ended at the Cross, but taught Noah was still in force, as evidenced by the results of the Council of Jerusalem in Acts 15. You'll probably notice the Apostles didn't echo all of the Seven Laws because it wasn't necessary. There were already plenty of laws against murder and theft, and blasphemy was too obvious. Besides which, the current Jewish presentation of their Noachide Laws is deeply influenced by their Talmudic approach, which is not at all Scripture. The current Talmudic version overstates things, and carries a distinct hatred for Gentiles. Still, the list seems to reflect a much older scholarship. The Council did cite three issues because it might be news to Gentile Christians: idolatry, sexual immorality and meat with blood in it (usually strangled).

I covered this somewhat in one of my books, but I kept some copies of the older stuff that was behind the books. I believe I have a long PDF on Noah's Laws.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
The more I get into it, the more it becomes a history lesson. It has been made clear to me now. Twenty first century people read Scripture with 21st biases. These biases have to be dropped in favor of a view of life that no longer exists as the primary mode of understanding. I think this is challenge enough to begin with and I shall compile my notes accordingly. I am a prodigious note taker and have reams of scrawled paper that has no order to it at all.
Iain, be sure to share your stuff here. Considering how broad in application the Noahic (I like that adjective form better) are, it would be good to post in the Sermons forum.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com