New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Bike
Was almost finished with a really good ride today and had a flat. That part was no big deal, but as I was putting the new tube in, I spotted cracks in the alloy rim. Big cracks, like the spokes pulling out of the rim if I kept riding it. So I took it back to the dealer. It's not under warranty any more. And because it was a rather expensive model with really good quality stuff, they had to order another one pretty much like it. I haven't yet heard what it will cost (the parts catalog was not up today) but I am expecting it to be expensive. Oh, and the front rim has similar, but much smaller cracks, so I'll have to replace that one next month.

Meanwhile, no bike riding for me until I get the wheel back.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Let me add some context. I've never owned such an expensive bike before, and without donations and a serious price break from the dealer, I would never have gotten one like that. I've owned a lot of cheap bikes, and none of them have broken like that. They offered other problems, but none of them ever cracked that way. If the price of fixing this thing is too high, I'll just have to save up and buy one off Craigslist or something like that. Thus, I'm praying that I can discern how to proceed.
    I'm not sure the long story is worth telling, but through series of a dozen or so small events, I was moved to scrap the fancy bike and bought a rather less expensive mountain bike. It's on credit, so anyone can help me pay it off, but I'm not going to make it a fund-raising campaign.

Veloyce and I went together after having talked and prayed about this. I no longer trust the brand "Specialized" as I have had too many issues with it. The Wheeler Dealer bike store appears to have changed hands since the last time I was there a little over a year ago and it just wasn't the same. I felt like they were giving me the run-around so I reclaimed the wheel from the shop and put it back on the bike. I will list it on Craigslist as salvage for parts.

We went together this evening to our local Dick's Sports store where I've bought a couple of bikes already, including the one that got wrecked when my right knee was trashed (back in 2016). I got the same brand as that one (GT). I cannibalized the more useful parts from the old fancy bike and put them on the new one. We are blessed.
    Veloyce captured me working on it. She says it looks like I was in my element.
Yes, you surely do look like that!  He he.   Glad you were able to find what you wanted and may it last a very long time!  

Praise the Lord!
(07-13-2022, 09:08 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: I'm not sure the long story is worth telling, but through series of a dozen or so small events, I was moved to scrap the fancy bike and bought a rather less expensive mountain bike. It's on credit, so anyone can help me pay it off, but I'm not going to make it a fund-raising campaign.

Veloyce and I went together after having talked and prayed about this. I no longer trust the brand "Specialized" as I have had too many issues with it. The Wheeler Dealer bike store appears to have changed hands since the last time I was there a little over a year ago and it just wasn't the same. I felt like they were giving me the run-around so I reclaimed the wheel from the shop and put it back on the bike. I will list it on Craigslist as salvage for parts.

We went together this evening to our local Dick's Sports store where I've bought a couple of bikes already, including the one that got wrecked when my right knee was trashed (back in 2016). I got the same brand as that one (GT). I cannibalized the more useful parts from the old fancy bike and put them on the new one. We are blessed.

So happy you found a quick resolution to your bike issue.  Even though the bike is out of warranty, I would think the manufacturer would consider this a "Manufacturer's Defect" and cover it anyway to keep their "high end" reputation in tact.  Praying with you that the "old" bike will sell quickly.
Thanks for your prayers; it sold quickly enough. It's gone now to someone more likely to make it work better than I did. It's a blessing to bless others.