New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New creation man
I've been thinking, so if we are new creations in Christ Jesus and all things are new and we are crucified with Christ, should we be running to God everyday saying forgive me over and over and over? Or should we thank Him we are forgiven? Or what? I hope that is understandable. In 1 John it is interesting how he says we can't sin but if we do sin.. It just got me thinking...and decided to send out a question.
It's not a matter of having a formula. Your convictions know when you need forgiveness. Indeed, it's the only way you can know. If the heart does not guide you to repent, you won't.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
Further note: The ritual "forgive us our debts" in the Model Prayer is a catchall for sins unaware. It is the heart-led echo of the entire system of ritual offerings in the Temple. You can do this quite sincerely. "Lord, I'm hardly perfect. Help me to see my flaws so I can submit them to You for correction."
It definitely is something to note, though, how much the forgiveness topic comes up in prayer in general with some churches. After a while of hearing it, it feels like a misplaced focus, but I suppose prayer about any subject is time well spent, considering what else is out there.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
Any ritual can be fake; it's only as real as the fire in our souls. If you mouth those words "forgive me of my failures" and you really mean it, like the penitent tax collector, you'll come away cleansed (Luke 18:9-14, foreshadowing a future Bible lesson).
I really believe I desire to avoid the near occasion to sin. But since I posted this question I have had a couple of times of speaking truth in anger and then there are the thought battles( I pray against them to snap out of it), and saying more than I should. Then who knows what all else I dont see yet I am doing wrong. I am growing in prayer but it seems that forgive forgive forgive is like a broken record. I want to see victory with humility with the Father also knowing please forgive me without seeming repetitive lacking depth. Maybe I need to request you all pray with me that the Lord pour wisdom into my understanding on praying forgiveness for myself..Yes how about that ? Would you stand with me in prayer about that?
Surely, we can all pray for each other to find peace about the never ending struggle between flesh and spirit. Nothing is ever finished in this life.
For me, I am repentant all day long.  I will never be perfect, but the flesh in me almost makes sure of it.  My personality quirks have embedded in me a long history of "taking things personally" and causes me to doubt my ability to ever get over these quirks and stop my bad habits of listening to my mind's accusations either against others or towards myself.  If I don't constantly be aware of when I am doing this, I fall into a big self-pity trip or I beat myself up over it.  This is me - not you or anyone else of course. 

Therefore, I spend a lot of time time talking to the Lord about my quirks and ask Him to forgive me when they take over.  It is "my way" of dealing with my shortcomings.  All along, I praise Him who died for me and my quirks and for the forgiveness that is always there. 

It helps me.......
You'll read this in depth later, but the key to understanding forgiveness is that we are of two natures. To forgive another is to confiscate from your flesh the "right" of recompense, and sacrifice it to the Lord. Thus, the decision what to do with the perpetrator is God's; it's out of your hands. You can forgive yourself, though not literally. It refers to denouncing the fleshly nature as evil, an ally of our Enemy. Again, it's recognizing we are two natures. Same with asking God for forgiveness. Your flesh cannot see God; when you come into His Presence, the fleshly nature is like a beast tied up outside. You apologize for the way it keeps getting out of your control and running off with you.
(04-09-2022, 07:13 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: You'll read this in depth later, but the key to understanding forgiveness is that we are of two natures. To forgive another is to confiscate from your flesh the "right" of recompense, and sacrifice it to the Lord. Thus, the decision what to do with the perpetrator is God's; it's out of your hands. You can forgive yourself, though not literally. It refers to denouncing the fleshly nature as evil, an ally of our Enemy. Again, it's recognizing we are two natures. Same with asking God for forgiveness. Your flesh cannot see God; when you come into His Presence, the fleshly nature is like a beast tied up outside. You apologize for the way it keeps getting out of your control and running off with you.

Love that last sentence....