New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Net Panic
I'm seeing a lot of warnings about likely catastrophes involving cyber-warfare. I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not such an expert as to have all the answers by any means. Instead, I've learned to trust certain voices that have been consistent with my experience and things in general. It's not as if I can give you a list, because some of those voices show up only on forums operated by others.

You can easily go whole-hog and panic like this guy. I think he's overstating things, besides which he is trying to sell you something. His outline is okay, but he makes more money from getting folks to panic. From what I've learned through reading guys who really know this stuff, cyber attacks don't work like that, in the sense that Russian hackers cannot take down the whole Western Internet system, nor can they use it to destroy every major supply system. On the other hand, the linked article does a decent job of asking the right questions.

The bigger threat is our own government. We all know about how those high-level simulation exercises are nothing more than pre-staging false flag events they plan to use against us. It was that way with COVID-19, and other disasters going back at least as far as the Murrah Building bombing here in my own area. So when our elite folk go to participate in simulations about things happening with the Internet, we know they are planning something ugly. For now, it looks like they plan to create excuses to restrict how we access the Net, and what we are allowed to see. Killing the Net itself would hurt them too much.

This is why I've warned that the Internet will become useless to us for things like fellowship, because they will likely restrict any content produced by us little people. Think about the current wave of censorship we've been seeing on Big Tech services, and imagine it being applied across the board. Seems to me there will be censorship boards activated for everything, but instead of a government office, it will be something private, but governed by the common wokie ideology. It remains to be seen how it will be implemented, but I'm expecting to be shut down myself in one way or another, sooner or later.

I also believe that censoring private communications will be much, much harder than the elite imagine. Encrypted email from neutral providers -- there are some -- will take far longer to shut down, and it may never actually happen. I tend to believe we'll see a major solar event before that happens. In other words, we will probably have encrypted email services until there is no service for anybody at all.

Yes, low powered computing devices and solar charging stuff is probably a good idea if you can afford it. That will give you the greatest longevity in terms of staying connected. I've been studying how to keep doing what I really need to do on Android, for example. It isn't so much my love for tablets and Chromebooks, but the near certainty that I need to keep track of what's possible under various scenarios. I need to keep track of what I can do against what I should not do with them.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
I don't agree with the guy about guns. Having an arsenal isn't necessary for normal people, as though we're going to be doing nightly raids for supplies against rivals. He's living in video game land and telling us we're all the main protagonist. Aside from the dramatics, his advice is fine, though it's out of reach for most people without all that disposable income.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com
With respect to having an arsenal, I agree. I did not click on the link that you guys were referring to. I just know that where I live there are plenty of people that would not hesitate to take whatever they could should the opportunity and a necessity present itself. I have what I need to protect myself and my home as do my neighbors so highly unlikely we would have to worry about marauders so to speak. Even though I live close to town, I basically live in the country.
But we do have a gang problem due to our close proximity to I-95 and all the drug traffic that goes up and down there using my county for multiple pit stops to either store or trade their goods to move it along the I-40 corridor. Not a day or night goes by that I don't hear gunshots. 
Now don't get me wrong a lot of people including some of my neighbors target practice during the day. They do so in a safe and proper manner since they all know what they're doing. But there are sufficient numbers that I can hear in the distance in the middle of the night that I'm sure are not people just practicing.
I wonder if that all sounds weird to you guys? Weird might not be the right word but........
In any case I will do whatever I need to protect my family if the need ever arises.
I chuckle. Just a few nights ago some idiot outside our apartment building on the front side fired off a few rounds. Then, for good measure, they did it again a few minutes later. From the sound of it, I surmise it was at least a 9mm, if not something more powerful. By the time we could arise and peek out the window blinds, we saw only a couple of guys casually standing out there smoking on the sidewalk. A few minutes later, they were gone. The police came and investigated the scene. Apparently they fired into the air or ground, but no property of value was struck, and no bodies or even blood. These were visitors, not residents.

You have to know your area. Most of my neighbors know I'm an ex-Military Policeman and that I'm armed. They act like they trust me, and even defend me behind my back. The Lord wants us to stay here for now. This is an Open Carry state, so it's not the guns, but how they are used that becomes an issue. Still, there are plenty of places where it's just preposterous to own guns, asking for serious trouble. I think Jay's comment was aimed at how the fellow in the article expressed himself. The writer seemed wholly unconscious of the variations in context for his readers.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog
(03-12-2022, 06:31 PM)Ed Hurst Wrote: I think Jay's comment was aimed at how the fellow in the article expressed himself. The writer seemed wholly unconscious of the variations in context for his readers.

Correct. I probably should have clarified. I'm assuming most people reading that--let's say 90%--would not have the tactical and situational awareness to know how to handle a personal arsenal when it comes to a crisis situation. More guns and more ammo can often mean you are less safe when your neighbors' mental states break down in a crisis situation, once they start noticing things. 

The same thing with food supply. People aren't going to learn to "hunt" or even forage for food, ad hoc, when the pantry dwindles. That ignorance increases tenfold when you can't Google "how to hunt" and have to scrounge for print books for the information. Everyone else will have the same idea as you are, so you're going to be fighting off people roaming around as much as you are tracking animals (if even you know how to track to begin with). 

Hunting and foraging is a skill that isn't learned by "leveling up" by walking around in a forest, like a video game. In short: if you don't have the skill and knowledge now, you're not going to have it in a SHTF situation without taking on a huge amount of risk. Dealing properly with SHTF scenarios required and entire shift in awareness and planning that most people can't do. I think most people will be winging it so varying degrees, myself included.

The other 10% already know and are prepared for their particular context, so I'm not really talking about those folks.
Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com