New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you prize it from my dead fingers
(07-30-2019, 06:46 PM)jaybreak Wrote:
(07-30-2019, 06:35 PM)IainH Wrote:
(07-30-2019, 05:13 AM)Ed Hurst Wrote: I did a lot of research on the song "Dixie" and it still surprises me how a show tune from the days of black-face minstrelsy up north was absorbed as the anthem of the South. It seems a case of mockery turned on its head and worn proudly.

Indeed it is, Sir. Dixie was written by a Yankee and we knew it was mockery but, Southerners being a gracious people turned it on it's head.

I don't think I've ever heard this song.

" I wish I was in the land,
   Old times there are not forgotten,
   Look away. Look away. Look away.
   Dixieland "
   Sound familiar?
  I have my own versions " It's glad I'm from the land of baccer (tobacco), it would be better without the slackers, look away...." 
Funny thing is, I can come up with alternate lyrics to existing songs on the fly but, can't write lyrics for my own tunes?!!
It's frustrating because I tried to find a lyricist to collaborate  with on songs and had no success in doing so. The ones I do know aren't interested even, after explaining how working together would create better art than a wordsmith who struggles with the music or a tunesmith who can't write lyrics. Ego is enormous among most musicians and that's just too bad. I got lots of melodies and harmonies, etc but no words. WAAAAH! I wanted to be a rockstar!!!

Messages In This Thread
When you prize it from my dead fingers - by IainH - 07-29-2019, 07:59 PM
RE: When you prize it from my dead fingers - by IainH - 07-31-2019, 07:48 AM