New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Question of Rituals
As noted in a recent blog post, I am reluctant to set too many precedents on rituals. At the same time, I am aware that we do need to establish something that distinguishes Radix Fidem from the mainstream. It's not that we can't copy from the various traditions, but I sense that we need to be very careful how we adhere to the underlying orientation of our covenant.

That said, I think we need to recognize the difference between inherent expressions of faith versus contextual add-ons. The latter is rather wide open, once we remind ourselves what the former means. In regards the former, I am still deeply stirred by the huge difference between the mainstream traditions and our heart-led connection with nature. I think it would be an embarrassment to forget how that simply must change some of what we might do.

I'm also aware that some future members may find themselves called to faith while living in some urban setting. Additionally, some folks live in extreme climates, where worshiping outside is frankly risky business at least part of the year. Consider Christine, for example, up in Campbell's Bay, Quebec, out west and north from Ottawa. As I write this, it's 15°F and snowing in that area. A hardy soul might spend time outside working, but I'm not sure how many folks will be able to focus on worship in those conditions for very long. I grew up in Alaska, and I can tell you it would have been tough for me, though certainly possible to some extent. It was actually worse in the summer with huge clouds of mosquitoes in some locations.

Either way, we can't afford to lock folks into something they simply cannot do, yet we cannot ignore the fundamentally unique nature of how we approach things. I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Some issues: ceremonial vestments, weddings, funerals, baptism, communion meal, and other rituals.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog

Messages In This Thread
The Question of Rituals - by Ed Hurst - 01-04-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: The Question of Rituals - by Christine - 01-05-2018, 12:43 PM
RE: The Question of Rituals - by Ed Hurst - 01-05-2018, 01:13 PM