New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serving Mammon
There's more than one way to idolize something, to knock God off of the throne and put something in His place. There's also many different ways to serve mammon, or money, material wealth and gain. It's not merely for thieves a swindlers, or for the well-connected elite making political power plays. Current systems make it very easy for the "normals" to lash themselves to the yoke of debt. There's many things that play into this phenomenon, but college loan debt can be especially heinous because of the "perverse incentives" and motivations that shovel young adults into higher education.

I shouldn't have to make a few disclaimers, but I feel I should to head off questions: no, college by itself isn't bad. Like anything in life, decisions like this are highly contextual, so there are no easy answers for people as individuals. The Bustle article in the video is probably carefully worded for maximum emotional impact, and Molyneux's commentary has plenty of flair and drama. There's nothing wrong with hyperbole, since it can speak to the heart better than mere facts can; just something to bear in mind (in the video, there are some vulgarities/scatological terms). More importantly than that, Molyneux is an atheist, 100% steeped into the Western philosophical tradition, so this post shouldn't be considered a wholesale endorsement of his views. However, his extreme skepticism of current worldly systems often align with what we teach here at Radix Fidem.

Church elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: jaydinitto.com

Messages In This Thread
Serving Mammon - by jaybreak - 05-28-2018, 12:21 PM
RE: Serving Mammon - by Ed Hurst - 05-29-2018, 06:44 AM
RE: Serving Mammon - by jaybreak - 05-31-2018, 04:43 AM
RE: Serving Mammon - by Ed Hurst - 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM
RE: Serving Mammon - by jaybreak - 05-31-2018, 04:14 PM
RE: Serving Mammon - by Ed Hurst - 05-31-2018, 08:21 PM
RE: Serving Mammon - by jaybreak - 05-31-2018, 08:35 PM