New to Radix Fidem?

Visit the Introduction and User Guide thread to get acquainted with us.

Automatic registration is currently closed. Please email admin@radixfidem.org if you'd like to register for the forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silly Technical Issues
For those of you interested in what I'm doing with computer technology, I note that using a VPN (a virtual "tunnel") to escape the snooping by Cox accommodating unknown government agencies, it causes a lot of hassle with using Microsoft services, along with a few others. MS does not like me logging in via VPN. They seem to understand that an iPad is a mobile device, so they aren't suspicious of varying IP addresses for it, but for an actual computer, it raises alarms if your login comes from a different location. A VPN means appearing to be connected in another state.

At any rate, it remains a hassle and MS has zero interest in accommodating this. And I'm not going to change my connection.

Google, on the other hand, focuses on the devices, not the location. When I connect to Google services, it works just fine, once they recognize the machine as "me". This means that I will have a tendency to switch to Google for document handling and sharing.

To complicate matters further, MS does not get along too well with iPads in the first place. It's very tricky handling files stored in OneDrive compared to Google Drive. Google never balks; MS gets cranky and changes the file names, adding some kind of time/date coding. My Outlook email account works just fine; iPad is superior at email and communications in general, just not so good at document handling. Still, I was already preferring Google for documents shared between my devices.

So, I'm leaning toward keeping the Outlook email account on the iPad, but in general avoiding MS Office online. I'll stick with Google for documents in the cloud, particularly for sharing with others. I'm going to de-emphasize MS Office in general, using Google Docs much more. Don't look for Word documents from me any more. Look for more of my stuff to be shared in PDF format, since that's the best way to get you something you might want to print for yourself. If it requires a team approach for anything, be ready to deal with Google Docs.

This, despite my underlying distrust for Google. As long as it works, I'll go with it.
Senior elder at radixfidem.org
Blog: radixfidem.blog

Messages In This Thread
Silly Technical Issues - by Ed Hurst - 09-24-2024, 05:46 PM
RE: Silly Technical Issues - by jaybreak - 09-24-2024, 07:09 PM
RE: Silly Technical Issues - by Ed Hurst - 09-29-2024, 07:43 AM
RE: Silly Technical Issues - by davew9804 - 09-29-2024, 05:09 PM
RE: Silly Technical Issues - by Ed Hurst - 09-29-2024, 07:35 PM
RE: Silly Technical Issues - by jaybreak - 09-30-2024, 08:44 PM
RE: Silly Technical Issues - by Ed Hurst - 10-01-2024, 07:06 AM