Radix Fidem
I Miss It So - Printable Version

+- Radix Fidem (https://radixfidem.org)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://radixfidem.org/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Prayer Requests (https://radixfidem.org/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: I Miss It So (/thread-43.html)

I Miss It So - Ed Hurst - 02-15-2018

There were several periods in my life when it was my blessed privilege to stand before a class and deliver the Word of Truth. There are moments when I feel transported back to those periods and can experience the whole thing down to minute details. I really miss those times.

I can tell you that attempting to make a video isn't the same thing. I've tried it. There's no way that can scratch the itch. Without a live class, it's just not the same. So I'm praying that someday out there in front of me I can once more stand before an audience with a chalkboard and share what's on my heart.

RE: I Miss It So - jaybreak - 02-17-2018

I miss some things, too, that I used to be embroiled in, in the past. There was a C.S. Lewis quote that I wish I had saved somewhere, where he said life is a series of renunciations and sacrifices (though the words were in a less depressing context). I guess everything has its time, and I think we make it worse if we try to keep certain divine provisions securely alive past their shelf life.

One thing I've said to my son when he was much younger was: "Sorry, buddy, eventually everything breaks or dies," when one of his toys fell apart, or a similar event.

RE: I Miss It So - IainH - 02-17-2018

I would ride my motorsickle a long long way for that. As a matter of fact, I'll be your right hand. I could go on first tell some silly stories and get the people relaxed, in a happy mood and receptive.
I floated around the idea of doing seminars, plenty of churches allow their facilities to be used free or for a nominal fee for non christian groups such as AA. I even developed a pitch for it. Then somebody bust my bubble.
Weekdays at 6:30am on the NRB channel; was the late RC Sproul, one of the preeminent scholars of Western Hellenized Christianity with a brain slightly larger than the moon. I thought to myself "what if I'm peppered with questions from a guy like that, I'm not that smart I'd drown". So out of fear for my fragile self-worth I abandoned the idea. I'm a terrific grunt but not a leader. I only take charge with great reluctance usually when things are chaotic and control needs to be established quickly, because I'm loud; " Y'ALL HUSH! it's time to start prayer meeting" then turn it over to the preacher. I'd be a lousy seminararian.

RE: I Miss It So - Ed Hurst - 02-17-2018

I get what you're saying Jay. My heart suggests this isn't something that's gone forever, just waiting for the right context. It's part of my vision of being an arrow in the quiver, awaiting the day of battle. This is also why I'm utterly convinced there remains one more mission adventure ahead of me. I did a lot of teaching during the last mission because folks actually demanded it. It was humbling and thrilling at the same time.

Iain, I think you'd make a great teacher for things where you can handle the questions. That's what makes a faith community work, each of us contributing our expertise in divine calling. I'm hardly the same grade of intellect as Sproul, but I believe I could stump him on a few things. A critical element in teaching is how you handle stuff you aren't prepared to answer. I can tell you the heart often knows the answer right away; you find yourself thinking you didn't realize you knew the answer. But a big part of what I can teach online is getting good questions to help me find answers.